On overrated games

Games, Videogames and the like.

On overrated games

Postby cybernator5000 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:07 pm

Hey, I have had a question on my mind for the last day: Why do people care so much about overrated games? I mean, I realise that you may not like them as much as other people do, but what does it REALLY matter? Is it the fact that people don't experience other games you may like? And in that case, why does it effect the opinion on the game itself? I'd love to know your opinion on that one ^^
cybernator5000

Re: On overrated games

Postby Nina Windia » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:22 pm

I think it's the same for movies.

You don't usually check movies unless friends said you should, or unless you hear a lot about it.

I don't mind, if I see a game I like I just try it to see if I like it or not.
Nina Windia
Site Admin

Postby cybernator5000 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:29 pm

Thanks for moving it to the correct part of the forum, because of exactly what you said I put it in "general" because it's not necessarily just for games :)

I agree with you on that, but I just wonder what is the problem with "overrated" in the end. I mean, it dosen't hurt anyone (when reffering to video games and movies that is) and nobody is forced into it, so I always found it bizarre.
cybernator5000

Postby -sparkle- » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:37 pm

It's the same with books as well...
"best seller" for some books and I just think "Really ?"

I mean for example 50 shades of grey. What kind of sh*** is this ? They even made a movie...
that poor written (from what I've heard, I didn't read it !) book was once a Twilight Fanfiction...

but to be honest I don't think much about overrated games. movies, books - yes but games...no
I just look upif they are really worth it (as it's been rated) or not and sometimes they really really are !
-sparkle-

Postby Thetis » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:10 am

I'm not sure I quite understand this thread, but I'll give a stab at it.

If I hear about something with a lot of buzz, I try to avoid the spoilers and whoever's opining about it for the time being until I can experience it myself. Then I go in, and I try to come up with how this movie/book/game made me feel. I like being able to formulate my own thoughts, though undoubtedly others influence how we view things. It's how we tend to view something we really like but is very unpopular as a 'guilty' pleasure. Because it's commonly unacceptable to 'like' something this bad or whatever.

Me, I admit to feeling guilty about my preference for children's and YA stuff over the 'adult' (not like that) stuff. It's...weird. I know I'm supposed to be all mature and put childish things away, but much of modern literature for adults has this cynical, jaundiced view of looking at the world I don't really care for. Plus...there's half the 'adults' there tend to think with their appetites rather than their brains...but I won't get into a diatribe against modernist/postmodernist literature here.

On Twilight, I admit I let myself get influenced by how people critically panned the series. I wasn't willing to spend money on buying the (rather expensive) books, so I got a copy of the first Twilight at a library book sale, which let you fill a bag of books for two buck.

As it turns out, I believe I was one of the few people who didn't overpay for that book. Uuuugh. I started going over the book with one of my red pens, and I ran out of ink by page twelve. I also downloaded the never-released Midnight Sun off Stephenie Meyer's website earlier, and that was not a good experience for me. At all. So in short, don't let over/underratedness bother you too much. Like what you want to like because you want to. If you're embarrassed, it's okay to be an in-closet fan. :)
Thetis

Postby Anfinity » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:55 am

I guess sometimes it irritates me because I heard about how great something is so often, and then when I see/play/read it, I don't enjoy it nearly as much as I expected to. Expectation can really enhance your experience, and it can really detract. I'm sure you've gone to see movies you've really wanted to see and left disappointed, or had absolutely no faith in a movie and walked out pleasantly surprised, right? It's like that.

Also, I had this experience with The Avengers: I saw the movie, liked it well enough, but then heard about it literally non-stop for the next few weeks. I liked it, but I didn't like it THAT much. By the end of those weeks I thought I was going to go insane if I heard one more Avengers related thing. That was when it came out in the U.S. I came to Japan a few months later and had to go through the whole thing again with the Asian release! Urgh!
Anfinity

Postby dindevalhalla » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:26 pm

I will sound like an elitist bastard but overrated stuff is created because people don't know best, and that is because regular people don't go looking for things outside their comfort zone on entertainment, hence, underrated stuff. For example, 50 shades is because it was a light erotica novel in a time where people were discovering ebooks. For whatever reason it became popular and a best seller, while other light erotica novels with better plot like Sherrlyn Kenyon's Dark Hunters (recommendation of my wife) are not more widely known because they have greek mythology and themes, and although it is one of the most widely known cultures, it is still not very mainstream

It is the same for games. If the game is not a halo/god of war/assassins creed clone most people wont even pay attention to it.
dindevalhalla

Postby Thetis » Mon May 11, 2015 10:14 pm

Actually, Fifty Shades of Grey became incredibly famous because it was originally a Twilight fanfiction in the subgenre of AHAU of that fandom. AHAU stands for the all-human, alternate universe. It came about directly as a result when the fandom got really into the gross parts of Breaking Dawn, and it alienated a lot of Twilight fans. The original Twilight fanfic was called Master of the Universe, which later got some name-swaps and other minor changes, and was retitled "Fifty Shades of Grey" when it was picked up for publication. Edward is Christian Grey, Bella Swan is Ana/Anastasia Steele, etc.

Ericka Leonard, the author, is really a marketer, not an author. She looked at the AHAU part of Twilight fanfic, took some popular ideas and trends, threw into a badly-written story, changed some names, and submitted it for publication. And it got accepted. *headdesk*

Anyway, there's a really good sporkanalysis on this page: http://jennytrout.com/?page_id=5720 She does a wonderful takedown of the trilogy, chapter by chapter, and does a bunch of other sporkific analyses.
Thetis

Return to Games section