Magic the Gathering

Games, Videogames and the like.

Magic the Gathering

Postby Thetis » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:31 am

Okay, I formally got addicted when I got to my alma mater. I hung out at a place at my school where there were a lot of Magic players, and that's how I got into the game. Never really got into Yugioh or Pokemon (card playing games, anime, video games, anything...)

So I play primarily EDH, or on a very rare occasion, draft. Right now I have three decks, Boros (probably my best deck), Azorius, and Orzhov. My generals are Aurelia, Brago, and Athreos respectively. I'm trying to get better by practicing, but I'm somewhat reluctant to swing at people, which is kind of bad with aggressive decks like Boros. >.< Plus, with formats like EDH, you have to be very diplomatic. Which is bad if you're running stuff like Winter Orb...

My brother had an old collection which got me a really handy boost in collecting cards. Stuff like Strip Mines and Mirari's Wake. Old stuff. Anyone else play?
Thetis

Re: Magic the Gathering

Postby dindevalhalla » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:45 am

I play with my wife. We both used to play back in Mirrodin, but dropped it for reasons. I would like to buy more cards but i haven't had anyone else to play with haha

I have a tricolor Exhalted deck. And i'm really not aware of anything going on in the metagame right now... I should investigate more
dindevalhalla

Postby Thetis » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:57 am

I sure do a lot better when't I don't play in a pod where diplomacy is the key to winning. I went up against not two, but three decks with Thraximundar as their general, and with my piddly Brago, King Eternal blink deck. It didn't go well.

I went in a dual game with a guy running a saproling token deck. I Banishing Lighted his general (heh), then wiped the field with Planar Cleansing. Sadly, his Aura Shards already took out my Land Tax and Pearl Medallion, but Athreos really drained his life! (He kept trying to take out my Suture Priest, but to no avail...)

Anyway, I haven't played in a while because I'm working on a ten page paper on slave narratives. Whee!
Thetis

Postby Thetis » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:27 am

Double-post, but it's been over a week. I'm just recording this for posterity.

I usually play my EDH at a local hobbyist shop, but lately, somebody's been bothering me. The extraneous outside the game stuff is not pertinent (although irritating...), but this guy started targeting me in game too.

There was a small tournament, and he griped about my deck, which has a foreign language card and a proxy because I have the real ones at home and they're expensive. Nobody else minded, but he kept complaining about me cheating. We were in a big pod of six. I had the least land out of anyone, and I got out an enchantment which would help me get more, and he attempts to destroy it. I countered it.

The next time, he tries to cast two spells, and the first one gets countered by someone else. No problem. He tries a second time, and it's a threat to me, so I counter the second. He gets furious, and calls me a bitch and a bunch of other things. The other four players have been watching this the whole time, and they get upset on my behalf. As one of them said, "It's not so much what you've been doing in-game, but what you've been saying to her.")

Somebody is upset enough that he takes them out first before killing the rest of the table. The store owner asks him to take me aside later, which he does begrudgingly for calling me a bitch. I ask him what's been going on with everything else and he says he has no idea what I'm talking about.

...I like going here, but I really don't like this situation that is developing. I don't know what I did to offend him, but he's been doing this the last three times I've been going here. It is somewhat galling to see him blame me for targeting him when that's what he's been to me. Uuuugh.

I like EDH and I like playing when I actually have free time, but I don't like the situation that's developing here. I could either play at my university, which is over an hour away, or find another shop. I've made nice friends here, but I'm not sure what to do about this...
Thetis

Postby dindevalhalla » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:05 pm

Man i'm really slowpoking here. Sorry about that.

Tell the store owner or other players your version of the story. Contact authorities if he gets too creepy. Go with a big friend and call him out on his behaviour. Magic is a game to have fun, not to be a dick to people (outside of the obvious psychological warfare)

Hopefully thisnsituation has been fixed by now
dindevalhalla

Postby Thetis » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:10 pm

Well...the issue resolved itself. Not by my doing, so...

Actually, this guy had been a huge problem, and not just to me. He supposedly rags on everybody, a different person per day. But now? I don't think he's been showing up lately. And there's speculation from other people that he may have been banned. He gave a beloved storekeeper a hard time, and somebody blew up. So, maybe he'll be back, maybe not.

I played in an EDH tournament this past Saturday with my Athreos deck. It was ROUGH. My deck is attrition-based, so the longer the game goes, the tougher it gets for my opponents to win. ^_^ And it went on for six hours. Six. Hours. I was dehydrated by the time it wrapped up, and because it was only four people, there was only a prize for first place. I got second. The deck must've been frustrating because about four hours in, the two remaining people said, "Let's team up, or she'll kill us all." ^^;
Thetis

Postby dindevalhalla » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:53 pm

Wow. My longesbgame that inremember was an hour long back in mirrodin and it was between 6 people. I lost pretty quickly because i misuded my equipments and destroyed them if the creature holding it died. Later i saw tgat equips dont work that way hahaha.

I havent seen anythingnon the new expansions. Im also hyped for the Mitos y Leyendas CCG returning but i have no time to go to my city's Magic and cards market
dindevalhalla

Postby Thetis » Tue May 12, 2015 3:10 am

Hee, I attended the Grand Prix in the nearest city from where I live this weekend! It was my first big event, and I tried to enter the Top Commander. Only...they couldn't quite get sixteen people for it, blah. So they narrowed it down to five players, after they offered some people because the total number was a bit lopsided. And we played.

Urgh, the winner ended up being this really young guy who played that general that cascaded spells. The moment we saw his general, it was just like, "Uuugh..." So we kept him from going off for about ten turns, and then...he combos off. As another guy complained, "Well, we didn't mind him winning; we minded how whiny and sore of a winner he was." He got the prize, sat down and went through it and whining about how it wasn't his fault he won; it was his deck's fault! Bleah.

So I played a few games with the other people in the tournament, and that was much more enjoyable. I play almost exclusively EDH, because I've tried sealed and it just doesn't ever end well for me... XP My four decks are Athreos (which I used in the competition actually!); Gisela, which is pretty much your basic Voltron build; an Oloro deck which I'm structuring around Stasis; and a super-huggy Phelddagrif deck, which just loves everybody. ^_~ I guess it's to make up for building a deck around something as nasty as Stasis, hee.
Thetis

Postby dindevalhalla » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:59 am

In my city in Mexico I did not participate a lot on the tournaents but did play a lot with friends and family. I remade my deck into a WB Exalter/Constellation and so far is really fun to play, but my main weakness is still Green big creatures and trample
dindevalhalla

Return to Games section