Something embarrassing that happened during gameplay

Talk about the games here!

Moderator: -sparkle-

Something embarrassing that happened during gameplay

Postby Nina Windia » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:36 pm

I'll go first.

So the first two games I played on emulator (Shame to admit). And while playing the second game I used an instant healing cheat (which means I cannot die).

It did helped me to play the second game smoothly, only years later finding out how rough this game truely was. Of course, there were few points in the plot where I actually needed to die, and finding out how to turn off the code so I could proceed was rather annoying.

Another thing that happened to me was raising mony for Gobi on the first game. I didn't realize there were so many things you could do to earn money on Aura, or that selling Golden bars would give out so much sum (I was still learning english back then).

So I wasted about a day battling monsters to get the money, and I reached all the way to level 40s, and by this point I was unbeatable... XD

Which brings me to the third thing: Breath of Fire was my first RPG EVER. I didn't know you needed to buy items and change your gear as you go, and I kept leveling up to beat the monsters, always wondering why I was so weak. Now think of it like that, when I finally realized I could do it, I was already pretty high leveled (The whole raising money deal), and with switching the gears it was rather...

Yeah the game went on pretty easy from this point onwards XD

So, now your turn, tell us something amusing/embarrassing that happened to you during your gameplays of the Breath of Fire series.
Nina Windia
Site Admin

Re: Something embarrassing that happened during gameplay

Postby NukaCola » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:03 am

I remember crying when my friend gave me my Breath of Fire II cartridge back after borrowing it and finding out he copied his new game over my file. In hindsight I was only right after Windia / Before Capitan. As a kid it felt like a LOT of progress when in all honesty it was only a few hours of gameplay, nothing too huge.

I also remember losing my 50ish hour Breath of Fire III PSone save when I reached the Desert of Death. I wasn't happy about it :| No wonder it took me forever to finally beat it!

Here's my biggest dumb moment in BoFI: Playing as a kid, for whatever reason, I would continuously play through the Karma Tower segment at least 3 times, each time saving after I get Nina, going back to the save menu, and copying over the save with an older save from before Karma Tower. I think I had intended to just make a copy of the completed Karma Tower save, but kept messing it up 3 times in a row. Thinking back I had NO idea why I made the same copying mistake so many times, xD.

I guess as a kid I really enjoyed that part of the story so maybe I didn't mind too much?
NukaCola
Global Mod

Postby Nina Windia » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:14 am

I have to say that I think that part of the game was really one of the best moments.
Nina Windia
Site Admin

Postby Type0x » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:16 am

I don't know about embarrassing, But, I picked up my GBA Breath Of Fire II cart and have been playing again, I'm making this a Nina and Spar file while delving big into fishing (Snappers sell for 1500 after all) and going for something I've never done before, Getting Akky to join TownShip...but I digress...

My cart is corrupt somehow, every single file I make on the cart works fine up until HighFort, After I defeat Shupkay and you escape to the roof, the game resets. It's strange because it only does it once, I redo that god awful section of the game and after I do it over again, the game runs fine no problems. Strange.
Type0x

Postby Pabupabupukapuka » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:26 pm

Playing BoF on the GBA back in middle school, I had gotten to the final battle on low battery. Myria's HP was about halfway down, and I was actually making steady progress in that battle (none of my hard hitters were down and I had adequate amount of items to help sustain the party). Lo and behold, the battery crapped out on me. Not sure why I thought it would stay alive just for that final battle (And pending ending credits). I was so frustrated that I didn't pick the game up again for atleast a week.
Pabupabupukapuka

Return to Breath of Fire discussion