Favourite thing about BoF?

Talk about the games here!

Moderator: -sparkle-

Re: Favourite thing about BoF?

Postby FireballStardraco » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:22 am

Dragons was the main thing that got me into BOF, the story however was very gripping, I loved the first 3 BOFs and how they tied so well together, BOF IV and BOF DQ had amazing ideas and stories to them aswell, although DQ was a challang but I loved it.

But what also made me love the game more was how different the characters and ideas were compared to most RPGs, everyone of them had a thing you could love or hate about them.
FireballStardraco

Postby Bragatyr » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:05 pm

Aside from the obvious colorful graphics and art style and music and fun game play, I think it's the characters that really set off Breath of Fire. Every Breath of Fire I've played so far has memorable, fun, endearing characters, which is kind of funny considering they're mostly anthropomorphic creature people. The story lines are great, but it's the playful, funny characters that get me. I could never forget Rand and Jean and Garr and Rei and everybody else.

2's story was amazing, though. And I always love the music. III's was very different, so jazzy, but I love it.
Bragatyr

Postby labouka » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:47 pm

BoF holds a very special place in my heart, as it is one of the two RPG's that got me into video games for good. My very first was Pokemon Yellow, but the real things that pushed me into gaming were these two series (the other was Golden Sun).

I immediately fell in love with the visual style and the music, right from the first game. What made the experience more worthwhile for me was that I was playing it alongside a friend of mine. We would spend hours on the phone with our GBAs in hand playing thogh the game, sharing thoughts and opinions about what we were currently going through and it was generally an awesome experience. :D

This carried over with BoF II as well, where it was exceptionally funny for us, due to the horrid translation. We still menaged to pull it through, though. XD

Due to my friend's lack of a PSP, the rest of the journey I took alone. But it was a worthwhile journey, through III' jazz music, Rei's awesomeness, the Dragon Genes and Myria's reappearence, to IV's magnificent story, Fou-Lu and Ershin kicking ass and taking names, Scias being awesome and the ingenious combo system. The moments are just too many to pinpoint specifics. :D

Overall, the entire feeling of this series's story and setting is what won me and still keeps me around to these wonderfull games. An additional factor is that it was this series's story that is the only one so far, in my many years of gaming, to make me cry. A lot. No other series gave me that. And I always respect and adore something that can stir such an emotion to me. If not for the gameplay, I would surely pester my friends to play these games purely for the story they have. :D
Click above to join the love siphoning. You won't (live long enough to) regret it! >:)
labouka

Postby Hiro365 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:24 pm

One of my favorite parts of the series is that moment near the end of the game when you are offered the choice to decide how the game ends. Whether you decide to fight the goddess, or let her be; to seal Gate or to fight the demon, etc. This moment makes every play through potentially unique because depending on how you undertook your adventure, the NPCs you did or didn't talk to, and your possibly new outlook on the game world when you reach this point could change how you decide to end the game. This is just something subtle that I really enjoy about Breath of Fire that I've not encountered in other RPGs.
Hiro365

Postby Elyon » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:35 am

My favorite thing in BoF III - a system of genes. And the city of fairies, it is really great.

In 5 part of the BOF series I like the fact that the game's storyline is largely mysterious and incomprehensible, and you have to guess independently about many things. Also I love the characters, especially Tantra, although it sounds weird.
Elyon

Postby Ejdeha » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:39 am

I fell in love with the oncept of turning into a dragon that's what drew me in.
I stayed for the amazing stories, and for the diversity in the clans.
And I mean hell, if you have to spend the rest of your life as a memory...
You Might as well make it a good one!
Ejdeha

Postby Lin256 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:39 am

I am very impressed BoF5, so in Dragon Quarter I love everything! I like this underground atmosphere, this lovely and hardly memorable music, characters... I adore the local scenery! I really like the locality named Frozen Road, ice cave is so beautiful! And Kokon Horay, it's damn difficult to pass because of the many monsters, but I admire the dark underground ruins with a green glow. And regent's centre, which does not fit into the underground locality, because this is more like a manor in the style of Baroque. And the owners of the centre - Regents, they are great guys, I just adore them! <3

Visit my BoF gallery on Deviantart: http://platinum-arc.deviantart.com
Lin256

Postby Type0x » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:26 pm

I've been playing Breath Of Fire games for 20+ years. I guess you could say i'm nostalgia blind, My favorite thing about this series, Is when I play these games (1-4, can't get into 5) I am taken back to a world, that, as a child, I lived. I was an only child with no neighbors, so i spent a majority of my childhood hallucinating in the yard all day. I obviously didn't actually live in those strains of code on a cartridge plugged into a plastic machine that is projecting an image onto a box...I swear I didn't live in that box! But. I feel like, when things go wrong, people leave me, I lose a job, I lose a friend or a loved one, whenever i feel I've "lost" something, I can play these games and escape into those worlds, and re live a time in my life where there I was oblivious to the complexities and stresses in this world we live in. It's like I'm a child again and whatever it is i thought i had lost and was looking for, i found that feeling in re living my childhood through breath of fire.

And when I'm done playing or am done reminiscing of the feeling it gives me, sometimes it helps to temporally forget the worries in the world.

Yes, professional help is being sought.
Type0x

Postby Turbo852 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:36 pm

Type0x, I know what you mean. I first played BoF II with my grandpa. Although he is now gone, playing it brings back all the memories of being around him. He would always watch me play games and help me figure out where to go next as a kid.
Turbo852

Postby Ryuuna » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:02 pm

Breath of Fire IV was my first JRPG. It was one of the most memorable experiences of my childhood. My most favorite thing is the dragon transformation (shocker xP) and in general, the dragon designs of IV in particular. The sprite quality of that game is outstanding, even for today's standards.
Ryuuna

PreviousNext

Return to Breath of Fire discussion