Underrated Characters in Breath of Fire

Talk about the games here!

Moderator: -sparkle-

Underrated Characters in Breath of Fire

Postby MrBaba » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:22 am

So, here we go. What characters do you think are totally underrated in these games and then they should have gotten more spotlight/development in the series? All games are welcome.

Personally, I would've liked to see more of Yua and/or Valerie in BoF2. Sure, the translation the US got would've been... iffy, but I still feel it would've been interesting to see some backstory stuff.

in IV, probably would like to see more Scias stuff, he's a cool dude, dontcha know?
MrBaba

Re: Underrated Characters in Breath of Fire

Postby Nina Windia » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:57 am

I agree, because I think Sara (Shila or Sarah) from breath of fire 1, sure gets more attention.

But then again, there was never a Breath of Fire 2 comic/manga, official one that is.... so... maybe that's why.
Nina Windia
Site Admin

Postby MrBaba » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:13 pm

Aye, Breath of Fire II really doesn't seem to get much bonus material to it like with I or IV. Which makes me sad as I like II's characters a lot.

Also weird since Capcom usually likes to praise games with II to no end. Unless it's DMC2.
MrBaba

Postby Nina Windia » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:28 pm

The problem with the cast of BoF 2 was that they were all so very interesting, but because the Nintendo version was so damn hard, I couldn't bring myself to keep some of them in my party no matter what.

And it's real shame, because all of them have something to say in a lot of situation.

Also, once you get Bleu, she "overwrites" the town talks regarding the current scenerio talk for I think two events or so.

I wish they would do the whole "all the party in" like they did in BoF 4, or at least make it possible to switch whenever, like in the first game.
Nina Windia
Site Admin

Postby MrBaba » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:54 pm

Aye, probably didn't think about it until the second game. Would've been nice in the first game, most of the characters in 1 are just so flat otherwise. :/

And while I did like the party talk mechanic, it felt intrusive in II where I feel III and IV made it much more convenient.
MrBaba

Postby Nina Windia » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:44 pm

MrBaba wrote:And while I did like the party talk mechanic, it felt intrusive in II where I feel III and IV made it much more convenient.

What do you mean? can you please explain how?
Nina Windia
Site Admin

Postby MrBaba » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:22 am

Well going back to Township a lot just to hear bonus dialogue sounds like it gets annoying quick from my understanding. Where as you only need to set up camp to hear what your party members have to say in 3 and 4.
MrBaba

Postby Nina Windia » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:25 am

Oh I agree, or at least some item that will get you to the town right away.

The "tent" was brilliant addition.

But I would also like to be able to carry all the party with me as well.
Nina Windia
Site Admin

Postby Pabupabupukapuka » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:29 pm

General Rhun. Would've been nice to see the game actually show him dealing with the crisis in the empire instead of revealing him toward the very end.
Pabupabupukapuka

Postby Turbo852 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:04 pm

I've just been going through BoF II to see if I can finally finish it after putting it off for so long. I just opened Infinity, so I'm definitely getting close!

Anyway, I was also doing a special project where I was taking screenshots of every piece of dialogue. Well, as you could imagine, this is very tedious and can take a long time. Whenever there is a decision, I also save state and explore all of the possibilities. I tried to visit TownShip and get everyone's comments frequently, but I'm sure I missed some. I also have some large swaths missing in a couple places, but I have saves throughout stored so that I can go back and get them later. I haven't, however, tried to change the party for everything just to see what everyone says. Although, I did just do that for the scene of opening the Gate.

So yeah, it's been kind of a ridiculous project, but fun to look back at the screenshots from time to time. I started doing this because I found an uncompleted script online once and thought that it would be fun to have a full script. I haven't tried hacking into the code to get the script, but instead decided to play through the game since I hadn't beaten it and it is my favorite of the series.

Anyway, I also wish they did more background of Yua and Valerie. And if the had the whole party be available at least for cutscenes, that would be nice. It is interesting to see how the things the characters say differ in certain scenes.
Turbo852

Next

Return to Breath of Fire discussion