Breath of Fire II! Finally beat it/making a little fangame

Talk about the games here!

Moderator: MrBaba

Breath of Fire II! Finally beat it/making a little fangame

Postby Turbo852 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:29 pm

I finally beat it!!!

So when I joined this forum I said I had been playing it on my phone, but it froze and although I had fixed it, I hadn't resumed. Well that was 2 years ago. Very recently, I started playing it again and opened Infinity.

I know that there are multiple endings to the game, so I was careful not to spoil anything for myself, while still making sure to have saves at various points so I could go back and try the different endings.

Anyway, I got to Dologany and I figured that I'd go back up to the surface to resupply and get ready for the end, but the story was so much fun at this point that I just kept going instead. I started going lower through Infinity and I got to this orb thing on the ground that looked like it might be some kind of warp point. I saved state there so I could continue later, but then I thought, why not just step on it quick and see where it goes? Well, then I was in this room and there was a cave in front of me, so I figured, why not see what is in there? Well, I ran into Barubary, so I figured, why not fight him? So I did. I chose to fight him alone when he asked and I had no trouble. Ryu's Guts ability took care of all the healing I needed and I had a few WiseBls to restore AP. Well, after beating him I continued. And then all of a sudden I ran into the final boss! I was down to just 1 WiseBl left and 4 wfruits, so I figured I wouldn't have enough to actually win, but I decided to go for it anyway. I had Katt, Nina, and Bow with me. Ryu and Katt were level 50, Nina was around 47, and Bow was around 43. Ryu had a MedushaSh on, so after running out of AP and the WiseBl and wfruits, I had him use it to cast AtkUp on himself, Katt, and Bow. And then I just had them all do normal attacks with Bow casting Cure 3 every so often. Not a single one of them died and before I knew it, I had won!

I plan on loading my save and taking care to collect all the treasures and then doing it again though. And I want to see the other endings. I have a save back in the Grand Church, so I'll have to continue from there.

Anyway, I'm super excited to have finished my favorite entry in the series finally after first having played it something like 20 years ago with my grandpa. Although as a kid I had read about the first game in Nintendo Power, the second one was the first I got to play. Now that I have my grandpa's cartridge, I want to load it into the SNES and see if my old save is still there.

I also want to go through the Ryusui translation. I've started it, but I'm not very far yet.

Also, recently I loaded up RPG Maker 2003 and decided to look at the Breath of Fire II tileset I had. I then realized that another one I had been using for a long time, actually had lots of graphics from BoF II in it! But, I noticed some things were missing. I made a few modifications and added them in and I started seeing if I could make a little house that looked like the ones in the game. I think it would be fun to make a little fangame or something. Maybe not too ambitious of a project, but just something for fun. I also made a CharSet (character walking animations) for the Hood to see if I could do it. I could only find frames for the hood taking a step in each direction, so I actually had to come up with my own frame for what he looks like standing still (the middle frames). I think it turned out well!

Here it is below:

Anyway, would anyone be interested in helping out? Is anyone here good at pixel art or editing sprites?

I'm not necessarily making a full fledged game here, but at least a few scenarios that allow you to play as a few of the characters.

The basic setup I have now is that Ryu and Nina have a kid (I actually really like the Ryu x Katt pairing, but I think this is easier right now) named Ryuji and Nina is taking him to visit Katt. But, they get attacked by hoods along the way.

The player controls Ryuji and will get to play as Katt later. I'd love to have little sections where the player controls only one character for a bit and have that character not be Ryu. I'll have to make up something about him being away training or traveling with Bow or something. Maybe he's out fishing with Bow or something?

Anyway, anyone think they can help or have any ideas that aren't too difficult to pull off?

Here's a small preview:

Turbo852

Re: Breath of Fire II! Finally beat it/making a little fanga

Postby Nina Windia » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:57 pm

Wow! that's was a sweet update!

I really can't wait to see more of the fangame!!
Nina Windia
Site Admin

Postby Pabupabupukapuka » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:10 am

Right on, congrats on beating the game!! And this fan game is a neat idea. The basic premise of the plot you've set up can go in interesting directions.

**Edited from original reply**
Just to throw out some ideas for Ryu and Bow.... I always pictured Ryu taking care of Township even in his later years and Bow eventually being promoted up the ranks in the Ranger's guild. That could be reason enough for those two to be busy, giving Nina some leisure time to take Ryuji to visit her former ally Katt.
Pabupabupukapuka

Postby Turbo852 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:39 am

Yeah, I can definitely imagine that both Ryu and Bow are heavily involved in being Rangers and taking care of TownShip. I think that they also might travel the world to spread the message about what happened and to make sure that the rest of the world is safe from demons.

I haven't made any more progress yet as I'm insanely busy, but I'm hoping my brother can help me with some sprites as he has way better art skills than I do (he just graduated from art school).

Seriously, I'm open to additional scenario suggestions and they don't even have to be connected to each other at this point. And if anyone wants to help with sprites or really anything, let me know.
Turbo852

Postby Turbo852 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:15 am

It's been a couple days, so I'll add a new post. I haven't done much, but I made a battlecharset for Katt!

Online, I was able to find a Shaman Katt set, but not for regular Katt. I had to choose a very limited number of animations, but I think I was able to make it work. This is a just a few frames. The twirl before the strike is now the victory animation.

Turbo852

Postby Nina Windia » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:31 am

Wow! nice!
Nina Windia
Site Admin

Postby Turbo852 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:01 am

Ok, I made Nina's battle animations!

Here's an animation of Nina and Patty both flying. Due to the height of the sprites, I had to limit the vertical movement and play around with the shadow size and distance quite a bit. I'm still not done with Patty's battle animations and I'll probably change the way her knees move:

Also, I had a few concepts for story elements:

Ryu will be haunted by the final battle and have some flashbacks. Every so often, he will think he sees DeathEvn floating around when nothing is there. He thinks something is up and goes traveling around the world to look for any demons that may have escaped. Bow, his best friend, goes with him.

Ryuji will be trained by various elders in some way. Basically this is to set him up for being trained by Baba (Babaderu) in how to fight. Perhaps there is a tournament where kids are trained by various elders and the kid/elder team that does the best wins? I would need other kids, but I think that is doable. I haven't decided yet.

There is still evil left in the world. At first, it doesn't seem like much, but the heroes will discover someone singing a song about the pain that DeathEvn inflicted upon the heroes during the final battle. They confront the bard, and that person disappears. This clues them in that something is not right. Something that was around during the final battle is still around and is trying to build power.

The other characters will be around, probably in TownShip. Bleu will probably go back to sleep, but might wake up to run around on occasion. Jean might go back to SimaFort, but he's always up for adventure, so he'll probably come along at some point. The big thing that I want to do is have Patty as a playable character. She disappeared after the gate was opened, but I'm sure she didn't go too far.

My main focus right now is creating graphics (mostly pasting existing sprites ripped from the game that I found online or ripped myself into correctly formatted rows and such and resizing things to fit the limitations of RPG Maker 2003. Nina had to be cut a slight bit smaller for just a few animations because she was too tall. For example, her taking damage animation has her wings going very high, so I changed them to go more to the side.

I was able to copy part of the wings from her regular idly flying animation and paste it on for the taking damage to reduce her height (the wing on the right in the image with the green background) and then I just drew the background wing very carefully pixel by pixel (the small one just above the lower wing in the image with the green background). The image with the gray background is the original graphic from the game:

I had to do this because the battle animations are limited to 48x48 pixels. Because she is now seemingly closer to the ground, I made the shadow closer and larger as well.

Next, I need to make battle animations for Ryuji. The plan is to just use the kid Ryu graphics and see how much I can get out of them before having to try to edit them for the additional poses needed for using items, and being dead and such.
Turbo852

Postby Turbo852 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:51 pm

It's been a few days, so here's a small update!

I gave Ryuji a sword! I still need to update his standing animation to have a sword instead of a stick, but at least the attack shows the sword! Here, I have him training with Baba!

Also note the custom victory animation!

I'm thinking of having a sort of master system. Unlike BoF III, however, the characters will directly battle to train or perform other tasks instead of getting stats from raising levels. So with Baba for example, Ryuji can fight him to train 3 different stats. He will train attack power, defense, and HP. But he will do each one separately. The idea is that if you attack while training you will train attack. If you defend while training, you will train defense. I might try to setup HP to be based on how much damage you take during the battle. However, I might make it be a non-battle type of task that you have to perform instead.

This is kind of like how you train Beyd in BoF III, I suppose. But I'll see how much I can actually do with the limitations of RPG Maker 2003.
Turbo852

Postby Nina Windia » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:21 am

Is it just me or is Ryuji loses his pants in the final part of the animation?
Nina Windia
Site Admin

Postby SktchGoblin » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:35 pm

Nina Windia wrote:Is it just me or is Ryuji loses his pants in the final part of the animation?

No, it does sort of look like his sprite loses its pants.
"Well, doesn't that just beat all?" Image
SktchGoblin

Next

Return to Breath of Fire discussion