Things I learned playing Breath of Fire V

Talk about the games here!

Moderator: -sparkle-

Things I learned playing Breath of Fire V

Postby Nina Windia » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:24 pm

1. It is really an underrated game. And I can understand why. The game is really really hard. I think if the way it was played out was a bit different, and easy (like if you could have an option to choose your own level difficulty and how much save token you can get), I would have probably played it a lot more. It is really addictive and the battle system is really fun. But there are so many hits and miss, and to be honest, it's something I don't like about my RPGs. And I like challenges, but this one is just really really hard.

2. No, you won't convince me that this is not a "BoFish" game. I mean I look at BoF 6 which supposes to be some kind of copy paste of BoF 1 and all I see is "Secret of Mana"/"Sword of Mana".
Breath of Fire 5 is, Right from the theme of "dreaming" from the very start, the NPC and through the music and art is a very much "BoF" game per so, and can be considered as a worthy sequel. Too bad most players give up before seeing that part and I don't blame them for it. Capcom took a very radical approach with this. While fitting the game atmosphere, it really can ruin to those who were used to other game-play style.
There is something that pushes you away from a game if you feel like it was not design for people like you, who are not that good with such style (and I am fighting urges to just watch it whole on youtube myself).

3. Running this game in broken machine can really increase your hate, and yet here I am debating if I want to have another go tonight or wait until my next day off.

4. The rewarding SOL scenes you get when you die and start over. Those are actually good stuff.

5. There is a lot attentions to details in this game, including the fact that certain conversation change according to your leader as well as how the battles are played out. For example if you play as Nina, at certain point her "wings" will no longer shine and even the talks will change if you move as her around.

6. I gotta beat this game, too bad it's not too user friendly :/ Not saying it's bad. It's just a bit of... love hate right now.

Will update once I finish it. At least I reached Zeon XD
Nina Windia
Site Admin

Re: Things I learned playing Breath of Fire V

Postby NukaCola » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:35 pm

Welcome to the stages of Dragon Quarter acceptance. This is how it went for me :)

1. I get the game on my 14th birthday in 2003. I play it, it's super different and hard. I stop playing it for a long while.
2. 3 years later, my friend and I decide to give it another shot. I'm obsessed, I SOL Restart enough times to finally get to the end + I conquer the optional Kokon Horay dungeon.
3. I officially accept it as a worthy entry to the BoF series, an underrated gem, and one of the best, most unorthodox JRPGs to ever grace the PlayStation 2. :)
NukaCola
Global Mod

Postby Nina Windia » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:41 pm

As a title by itself it's a wonderful game, don't get me wrong.

Few times while playing I thought of the Ico game (You can see how the art is not fully set into the 3D setting as well in both games), and the themes of boy saving a girl XD.

Anyway, as a title by itself the game is wonderful, I just think... as someone who is used to something that should be more orthodox RPG style... I... well... It's not my type of games.

I am really not into FF for example, also because of this.

I really liked the way the style of BoF 4 was and I kinda hoped it will return in BoF 5. To change it so much per so... I mean it's fun game, but if it didn't hold the title I may not played it and went to watch it on youtube, like I did with Ico (which was so hard!!!).

I think they should have considered the fact that some of the BoF fan liking the series for certain things, and maybe enable us to choose if there was, for example difficult setting, or option of game quick saving at certain points.

Anyway, I gotta beat it. I feel bad already that I've lost so many times and I didn't even reach half of the game.
Nina Windia
Site Admin

Postby Nina Windia » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:44 pm

Also, looking at saves, appearntly I had it since 2011.... And I think I stopped in the same place I did now. Let's hope it won't happen again XD
Nina Windia
Site Admin

Postby Nina Windia » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:15 pm

I hate my machine.

I really hate it.

But it finally worked today (and I think I'm going to try and find a new one soon).

Anyway, I think I finally learned how to do the PETs thingy and also how to better do the SOL and leveling up. I also saw some cool SOL scenes today, which was great!

When you finally get the hang of it, it's really fun. (I'm still avoiding strong monsters though...)
Nina Windia
Site Admin

Postby Nina Windia » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:44 am

So after I was forced into emulator, and somehow figured out that you just can't grab everything in BoFV unless you know what you are doing I started to speed up a bit, but I'm sure I was unwise with the dragon using but-

I hate the fact that I realize it's a small game made mainly to expert players. It's not fair. The rest of the series wasn't like that and I think the lack of saving and then losing hours of gameplay because of a mistake is more than enough to put a game down. It's not darksoul and it shouldn't have been made to be one.

The music is amazing and I realize more and more as I dive into this game how rewarding it is to pass a good part of the game and get a change of "air" in return.

The crawling up is repeative and at some point not only boring but bad. The layout of the dungeon may be different, but in core it's the same. You don't know where you are going, you don't always know where things are and who might lurk, which cost you time, healing, money and even you serenity. It's like everything is set out to break your spirit and make you lose it. I get that it's suppose to be a short game and by so everything is like 10 times harder and only get harder as you move in, but in terms of gameplay it's a chore than fun. Which is a shame, because I really liked the way the gameplay is and the story is so grasping.

All in all, I think the bosses are just ridiculously hard. It kinda upsets me knowing that I may have to restart this game again, and I was this close to just say "never mind, I'll just watch it"- Which I do with games I know I won't have the patient to do (like Eco, for example).

And again, this is upsetting because the more I advance and I learn about the plot, the more SOL scenes I get, the more items and abilities I have, the fun it gets, and I was about to consider it the top of the series (after BoF 2 of course :P ), but those type of things just makse not very playable to others.

I even got over the part that I don't like the designs of the characters, and over the fact that this is not a core "Breath of Fire" Per so, with Nina as Princess and Ryu as a dragon and dragon powers. (The pixel art no longer annoys me, in fact I think everything in this game is portrayed in realistic manner, and I believe the text when I read it. Nina is just adorable, Lin is cute, I can believe Bosch's enviness and anger, I think Ryu is presented in a way I would have liked to see Ryu 2 and so far everything and the pace of it is just so "Breath of Fire 4" and so "Capcom") .

I liked the challenge the game poses, and I like many things about it, but having some bosses being just over the top is not only annoying but frustrating.

I am going to try giving the fight with Daemoned another go, but I feel like I know it's going to be restart after this. Which is a shame, because I got so far in. :/
Nina Windia
Site Admin

Postby Nina Windia » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:40 pm

Finally finished it.

Loved the whole Bosche Ryu ending.

The whole SOL scenes coming one part after another is such a cool idea and I plan to continue playing and check the fairy maze too.

I still think the game represents Breath of Fire 2 in a lot of elements.

Will write about it in details soon.
Nina Windia
Site Admin

Return to Breath of Fire discussion