Game scripts?

Talk about the games here!

Moderator: -sparkle-

Game scripts?

Postby CoolHandLuke » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:06 am

Hey, does anyone have the scripts for any of the BoF games? I have an incomplete version of BoF 2's but would really love to get my hands on the complete version (both of the American release and of the recent re-translated fan release) if anyone has them. I'd also be interested in the scripts for the other games as well! Even though it's not BoF-related, I have a copy of the Lufia and Lufia 2 scripts that I can pass on to anyone who'd like them.
CoolHandLuke

Re: Game scripts?

Postby CoolHandLuke » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:10 am

UPDATE:

I've been able to track down what appears to be a complete script for BoF III and a script for the main game of BoF IV (this one contains all of the "unskippable" dialogue throughout the main quest but lacks a lot of the NPC/ campsite/ sidequest dialogue). Still trying to find complete scripts for BoF 1 and BoF 2, and (crossing my fingers) hopefully Japanese scripts for the games as well!
CoolHandLuke

Postby Rurouni » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:51 pm

Here's the only BoF2 script I have ever found online:

http://shedevr.org.ru/public_projects/B ... mp2009.txt

It's a straight text dump from the actual ROM, so it's all scrambled up and not organized by events unfortunately, and most instances of names and other important stuff are number tags instead, but this is the only script online as far as I can confirm.

As far as Japanese scripts go, I have never been able to run into one during my searches.

Well, hope that dump is of some help to you. Later!
Rurouni

Postby CoolHandLuke » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:07 pm

Hey, thanks man! I seriously appreciate it. It's a bummer that it's not a little more organized, but the fact that it's taken straight from the ROM makes me think that it should be complete, which is a heck of a lot better than the only other script I've found (an incomplete one on GameFaqs). It's definitely better than nothing!

Also, I've been looking through all of the material who posted on the BoF 6 thread, you're seriously a rock star for doing all of that!
CoolHandLuke

Postby Rurouni » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:16 am

Glad to hear! And thanks for the kind words, I seriously need to finish some of that too! :P
Rurouni

Postby ChaosPrime8 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:18 am

of all the game scripts, I want to see a direct translation of BoF1. Sadly, it was a localization victim of NoA's censorship policies (and strangely done by Squaresoft), which was a common practice in the 90's (BoF2 being one of the first JRPG's to almost entirely break free from it), and translated by the (in)famous Ted Woolsey, who not only had to work around political correctness, but text box limitations, which was probably one of the bigger barriers when releasing the game in North America. I suspect that is why Deis was changed to "Bleu" because the translators thought her name was spelled longer. BoF2 is the first time we see her original name, but it was spelled as "Deece" in the end credits, but I digress.

anyway, I can't find the original of BoF1 and I read that Ryu had no speaking lines at all in the JP version.
ChaosPrime8

Return to Breath of Fire discussion