Most terrifying boss battle?

Talk about the games here!

Moderator: -sparkle-

Most terrifying boss battle?

Postby Bragatyr » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:14 pm

I was just thinking, this series has some serious baddies. Zog, Barubary, Death Evans, Myria...whether it's spiritual horror or sheer game play difficulty even minor bosses in the series are often twisted, demonic entities with a lot darkness in their past.

For me, I have to say Barubary takes it. The nightmarish visions at the beginning of BoF II just make that battle so resonant. He truly comes across as an unstoppable force of evil. But he has that interesting sense of honor, as well, allowing you to face him alone if you wish, which makes him even more terrifying in my mind.
Bragatyr

Re: Most terrifying boss battle?

Postby Nina Windia » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:52 pm

Wow, I think the most trouble anyone gave me was Myria from BoF 3. That was such a hard battle. I may change my opinions once I play BoF 5, since this was a very hard game. She is close to Barubary's solo fight boss in BoF 2 (If you choose to face him alone)

In terms of scary stuff, deatheven was just.... weird scary like to me (what more the organ tunes just gave it extra freakish style to it)
Nina Windia
Site Admin

Postby Boss » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:48 pm

Using difficulty on an average playthrough as the only criterion:

BoF1: Gremlin
BoF2: Barubary
BoF3: Mikba
BoF4: Astral
DQ: complete Tantra, Bosch Boost w/o Discharge or transformation, some of the endgame bosses w/o transformation
Boss

Postby Pabupabupukapuka » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:51 pm

The Dark Rangers in DQ. They always gave me the creeps.
Pabupabupukapuka

Postby DragonArchangel » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:40 pm

I'm not sure. Too long since I played.

I remember I hated the zombie dragon in BoF3, only two characters against it was hard.

Amalgaman was pretty cool, as was the boss fight in the volcano. Both of Garr's fights were fun, and the other guardian was incredibly cool.

My favorite, however, are Nue, Teepo and Myria, for obvious reasons.

In Myria's case, I had chosen o listen to Her first, so the fight was purely to see Her raw awesomeness. I was not disappointed: best boss, best theme, best attacks, best everything. As expected of Her.
DragonArchangel

Postby labouka » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:24 am

Hmm, this is gonna be a tough one. I love most BoF battles, so it will be hard to choose from.

BoF I: One battle I remember actually giving me a hard time was the Goblin. At the point in the game, it was such a pain to deal with and it actually almost drove me away from the game for some time. If it wasn't for my stubborness, I would have ended my series right then and there. XD
BoF II: Barubary, hands down. It's a battle that has it all, whether you fight him alone or not. Definitely one of my most memorable fights. :D
BoF III: The Ammonites. Man, I could NOT get to finish that mini game and I always had to fight them in the hardest setting. Couple the fact that the Black Ship dungeon got me beat on resources and patience, and you can imagine just how wrong it could go for me. XD
BoF IV: Won-Qu and A-Tur. Both were fights that were obviously coming, but what made them terrifying for me was the fact that thy both could easily kick my ass when I encountered them. And it is terrifying because I was overleveled in both fights. Imagine how discouraging this can be, to sweep through other bosses with ease, wipe the floor with them, and then comes one bastard who is doing the wiping with YOU instead. Definitely a good challenge though. Fou-Lu knows how to pick pets. XD
Click above to join the love siphoning. You won't (live long enough to) regret it! >:)
labouka

Postby Thetis » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:57 pm

I. Sara was heartwrenching for the emotional impact. In terms of difficulty, the Tyr/Myria battle wasn't all that hard, but you really did get the feeling that you were up against something really evil, in terms of mood. And were it not for the ridiculously nerfed Agni/Infinity spell, the boss fight probably would have been much more terrifying. :)

II. Barubary for the emotional impact again. It's kind of liberating to be able to beat the crap out of the guy who stole your childhood, though. :D

III. Myria again, because it was so dang difficult. Also, slaying Teepo was heartwrenching too.

IV. I guess the battle at the Abandoned Village. When it's just Ryu and Captain Rasso just killed everybody else. That was upsetting. Especially when Ryu goes on a rampage afterward because of it and almost offs poor Ursula.

V. When I faced D-Bosch, he killed Lin with one swipe. Not even a complete combo! Augh...I was scared...
Thetis

Postby Bragatyr » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:04 pm

Thetis wrote:I. Sara was heartwrenching for the emotional impact. In terms of difficulty, the Tyr/Myria battle wasn't all that hard, but you really did get the feeling that you were up against something really evil, in terms of mood. And were it not for the ridiculously nerfed Agni/Infinity spell, the boss fight probably would have been much more terrifying. :smile:

II. Barubary for the emotional impact again. It's kind of liberating to be able to beat the crap out of the guy who stole your childhood, though. :grin:

III. Myria again, because it was so dang difficult. Also, slaying Teepo was heartwrenching too.

IV. I guess the battle at the Abandoned Village. When it's just Ryu and Captain Rasso just killed everybody else. That was upsetting. Especially when Ryu goes on a rampage afterward because of it and almost offs poor Ursula.

I love these picks. Stuff like this is why I think Breath of Fire is so awesome and so memorable, because it makes the conflict and the story meaningful. It's not just a random series of generic, cinematic fights. Every major battle is built up very well, and it makes the games very personal, and often horrifying.
Bragatyr

Postby Anfinity » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:04 am

I feel that Breath of Fire 2 had a lot of chilling battles and some of the most frightening enemies. I guess it's because a lot of the bosses you fight were something like possessed humans, or something straight out of a nightmare. So in the end I'd have to go with Barubary, I suppose.
Anfinity

Postby -sparkle- » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:27 pm

In Breath of Fire 3 for me it was for sure the fight against Gaist and the Elder of the Brood. The saddest one was against Teepo. Myria was pretty easy for me actually.
I went pretty far in Breath of Fire 5, but never finished it, but I can say that I hate the battle against Zeno !
-sparkle-

Next

Return to Breath of Fire discussion