The Worst Ever

Talk about the games here!

Moderator: MrBaba

The Worst Ever

Postby Thrillhouse3880 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:36 pm

Recently, I've been watching some of Screwattack's media, i.e Top 10, clip of the week, etc, and recently I've been watching their "Worst Ever" in which they talk about something they really hate, be it a character or something in a video game in general. So I got to thinking, for all the good stuff about BOF there has to be something bad in any game. To sum up, my question is the worst thing you dislike about BOF or find annoying about it, be it a character, boss, stage, whatever. I'll start by saying that last dungeon in BOF II was my 'worst ever' moment in BOF. (You can probably already tell I really like BOF II).

Runner Ups
1) The Fact they did not build up Ryu's childhood anymore (BOF II)
2) Getting the True Ending in BOF I
3) The fact that BOF VI is not on a console.
Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one
-Bruce Lee

Deviantart account: http://kdogg09.deviantart.com
Check it out if interested.
Thrillhouse3880

Re: The Worst Ever

Postby Thetis » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:51 pm

I. The official soundtrack doesn't have my favorite track EVER. So maddening.

II. The SNES version of the game and its teensy amount of zenny and experience points per battle. Were it not the GBA edition which doubled experience and zenny, I would have smashed my head against my monitor. >.<

III. The feeling that you're missing something. There was like a checkpoint which you couldn't go past and there was all this world beyond it that you couldn't go to. (Might have been a unfinished area or they ran out of time in production?) Also, the soundtrack stank, sorry for those who are fans of it. And Adult Nina's outfit is atrocious compared to the actual game art for it.

IV. I love this game, but I sure wish there were easier ways to mine for stat up items. I wanted to nerf my characters. :D

V. This game was awesome as is, although sometimes I wish it was a little longer. Le sigh.
Thetis

Postby Bragatyr » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:00 pm

I very much agree about BoF II's last dungeon. Quite a nightmare. Beautifully eerie music, though.

My picks are...

I: The general lack of polish on the game and the incomprehensibility of the plot. People complain a lot about BoF II's translation, but I thought the storyline and even dialogue were abundantly transparent. BoF I just never made any sense to me. The plot is meandering and directionless and the game just lacks a unifying sense of "oomph".

II: The insane encounter rate. Kind of a hallmark of early RPG's, but good lord. That one has nearly given me health episodes over the years.

III: The complex and tedious dungeons. BoF III is nearly a perfect game to me, but some of the puzzles and generally high encounter rate in the dungeons are annoying.

IV: Haven't finished it yet, and hate to say anything negative about it (I think it's arguably more perfect than III, maybe the best game in the series so far in terms of a smooth and polished experience) but the sequence beginning with the tidal flats approaching the capital is really annoying. Tons of side quests and fetch quests and just general tedium.
Bragatyr

Postby labouka » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:28 pm

Much as I loves me the BoF series, I would be lying if I said they were perfect in their build up. That is to say, though, it means that the series is not trying too hard to prove itself over these imperfections, no matter which they are. For that reason, I guess I could go and make an actual top 10 list of the things that I find worst in the series, to also stick with the inspiration behind this topic (though I guess that some of them are bound to be nit-picks, if I am to fill this list XD) :

BoF I: #1-The unnecessary subplots within the subplots. Example in point, Cort's mouse sequence. Sequences like this one provided no expansion of the story and dragged it too much for it's own good. There was no need to go through these mice stuff to establish that Cort is an A-hole, neither did we need stuff like Bleu's egg delivery sequence and others. This story did not deserve to be dragged like that.

#2-The game was not giving it's equipment much justice at all. Outside Ryu's Dragon Armor set, I never found any use to hunt down or even change equipments to my party members. Hell, I reached Tyr and Ox was STILL in his starting equipment. You may think it is bad gameplay investment from my part, but if my party members could still kick ass like that, then maybe it was the game going too easy on me, perhaps?

BoF II: #3-THE.FREAKING.TRANSLATION! God, I think one of the many notorieties BoF 2 brought was it's despicable translation issues that took so much of the game's fun. Definitely one of the worst.

#4-Those infernal encounter rates. I have played the Golden Sun series and I thought I knew about high encounter rates, but this was just DISASTEROUS. Never mind the fact that Inns and healing points were VERY scarce in this game. Capcom, WTF?

BoF III: #5-The enemy ability learning mechanic. I dunno what they programmed into 3, but this was DEFINITELY not a way to program such a fun mechanic like ability learning. Oftentimes I would spend days just to get to that one rare encounter enemy that had an ability I was looking for, and even when I found it, it would take forver to get the ability in question, thanks to the "ingenius" programming behind this function. Again, Capcom, WTF?

#6-The infernal Desert of Death. I have come to expect hardships in desert-themed levels in many RPG's and other games, but who the hell even thought it was a good--no, GREAT idea to traverse such a desert in such a manner? I know they tried to give it some realism factors with the stars and all that jazz, but only I know the countless hours I spent to get my directions straight in this thing!

BoF IV: #7-Yuna! Fucking Yuna!!! I am sick of these motherfucking Yunas in this mothefucking game!!! I don't think I am alone when I say that Yuna is perhaps the most despised thing in the entirety of the series. Yes, this gives him some of the best character builds I have ever seen in video games, but still, why.did.Cray.not.twist.his.peacefull-my-ass.NECK??? FFS, CRAY!!!

#8-The whole tide/village visits until the Tomb part. Dudes! There is a psycho scientist on the loose that has sacriliged the humanity of your main gal's sister. They have driven the other half of your main guy insane and he is killing everyone. You got some dragons to find to gain power and stop him. For god's sake, dudes! Why are you still there in those tides and villages that only drag the plot? What is wrong with you guys???

BoF V: #9-Though I haven' played 5 yet, I still have one thing I do not like about this game and is in fact the SOL reason that keeps me from playing it. Horrid puns aside, seriously...why is there a restart mechanic for the WHOLE game? I get the restarts between sequences, in case you screw up, but an ENTIRE gameplay??? How can you screw THAT up? Why did Capcom even thought we would screw it that much that they decided to put a restart in it? In fact, why even make the game insanely hard in the first place, if you know we will screw it up like that? Seriously, Capcom, W.T.F???

BoF VI: #10-I can't judge too many things for an unreleased game yet, but I still stand with the reasoning I am sure many fans share about 6: what.is.up.with.these.platform.choices.Capcom??? Seriously, the 3DS and the WiiU are fucking ripe with opportunities to host good games like BoF! Why cellphones? Why browsers? Why are you forcing me to ask WTF on you one more time Capcom? Why???

(PS: The reason why each game paragraph is coloured is solely so that each can be distinguished within my huge wall-o-text and hopefully make it easier to read. Also, have it in a rainbow placement for the heck of it. XD)
Click above to join the love siphoning. You won't (live long enough to) regret it! >:)
labouka

Postby CarnageCrayon » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:43 am

for bof 3 i totally agree with labouka. the german translation was so horrible, so far away, so lacking humor (feeding german stereotypes), so stupid and wrong sometimes... and the desert... oh this stupid f'ing desert... always drove me crazy and i always got lost, no matter how often i played it.

my worst moment in bof 4 was the golden plains, same problem as with the desert i always get lost there, i dont know why. id probably get lost on the way to my own backyard if i had one^^'

bof 5 was the final battle... i dont wanna spoil it for the people who havent played it yet, but who the hell comes up with that?!
CarnageCrayon

Postby NukaCola » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:02 pm

I think most would agree that the series' penchant for frequent random encounters is an issue worth complaining about. But at the very least, we get to listen to some awesome battle themes! Image
NukaCola
Global Mod

Postby labouka » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:23 pm

NukaCola wrote:I think most would agree that the series' penchant for frequent random encounters is an issue worth complaining about.

Actually, I think that the first and fourth games of the series had a reasonable random encounter count, with the third being a bit higher and the second being plain unbearable. I cannot speak for the fifth, but it is safe to assume that not all of the games of the series had infernal amounts of random encounters. XD
Click above to join the love siphoning. You won't (live long enough to) regret it! >:)
labouka

Postby Bragatyr » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:16 am

That's a good point about the battle music, ha ha. My fave is Stronger Monsters from BoF II, but the standard fight themes from III and IV are awesome, too, and I really like the last standard battle theme in the first game. Definitely makes the random battles a little more bearable.

I do think the encounter rate tends to be too high in the series in general, though. II might have been the most notable offender, but IV was starting to drive me crazy in some of those dungeons, especially the last dungeon.
Bragatyr

Postby Thrillhouse3880 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:05 pm

About the encounter rate in BOF II, the I know there is an ability where Ryu acquires that reduces the amount of encounters but it does not work very well. It's almost pointless having it. They should have given him another ability instead.
Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one
-Bruce Lee

Deviantart account: http://kdogg09.deviantart.com
Check it out if interested.
Thrillhouse3880

Postby labouka » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:26 pm

Smoke's the name of the spell, and it is the biggest lie ever. It ain't done shit! XD
labouka

Next

Return to Breath of Fire discussion