What kind of game elements would you like from a new game?

Talk about the games here!

Moderator: MrBaba

What kind of game elements would you like from a new game?

Postby BahamutKaiser » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:55 pm

It's been an age since a new BoF has been released, and the next one appears to offer none of what I desire from a new BoF game. So I was wondering what everyone's desire for the series are. I admittedly focus on gameplay systems and combat experience, I feel any RPG can have good art, music and story if they simply budget it, but what it can't be is totally different gameplay systems at the same time.

So please, share what kind of gameplay or elements you'd like in a BoF game. Whether it's an art style, retro return, advancement into modern gaming, different genre styles or whatever. I could go on forever on the subject, but I don't want to drown the discussion with my interests, so please, you first.

As a note, this is not a fantasy that BoF 6 will be adapted, more a fantasy about what we wish for from a new installment beyond that. And while some ideas may be more impressive or practical than others, I invite everyone to share their personal interests unapologetically, since this is only to share your preference and explore each others fascination.

Now, if it pleases any of you, please share :)
BahamutKaiser

Re: What kind of game elements would you like from a new gam

Postby Bragatyr » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:20 am

That's a really good question. I'm sure we all have different ideas about the future of the series, and it would be hard for Capcom to accommodate all of us, but Breath of Fire VI definitely seems to be taking a...different direction, ha ha.

I have to say, personally, after just playing IV, I really like the direction the series was going in at that point. It's fairly formulaic, I think it has to be said, but I really like the formula. It's just such a well-built, true to the heart series. I've finally decided I like it more than Final Fantasy, and that has a lot less to do with its technical achievements and more to do with its heart; the loveable characters, the absolutely brilliant humor, and the wonderful artwork, art direction, and music. I've found myself enjoying each installment more and more, and I've gotten really close to the series.

So to answer the question, having not played V yet, my ideal for the series is simply a continuation of what had been done with I-IV; a gradual, slow evolution of the elements we all know and love. I still love Ryu and Nina and Deis, and I would just love for the story of Breath of Fire to play out the way it has all these years. I really wouldn't change much.
Bragatyr

Postby Nina Windia » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:32 am

Bring it back to the old days of Breath of Fire 1 & 2. I still think they had so much magic and depth.

I would really like to see it again, with better graphic and music. I don't even mind using the battle system of the 5th game, but I really want them to go back on the roots of the Dragon Clan
Nina Windia
Site Admin

Postby BahamutKaiser » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:05 am

I think all of the games had something to offer, aesthetically I'd like them to combine the values of many of the games into one. I like the eastern atmosphere of 4, but it would be even more interesting if they made a broad world where the eastern influence existed in one part and western in another.

I'd also like if dragon clans were diversified by dragon types, and the eastern dragon clan actually featured genuinely oriental inspired serpent dragons, with occidental dragons being a separate, competing clan, and other clans being far more impressive and powerful in different ways.

I've always liked dragons and in order for them to really resemble their identity, they need to be individually superior to the other clans. Like in BoF 3 where Ryu would replace several members of the team in dragon form and fight alone, dragons could represent several units, and other smaller clans could match dragon power by outnumbering them.

The main thing is that I want a Breath of Fire that genuinely appreciates and satisfies its fandoms love for dragons. Doing so by making them a more accessible, involved, and explored part of the game, but not get so focused on it that they lose sight of the a healthy environment of competition and opposition for them to really shine in, there's nothing lamer than making a game where everything revolves around one hook and nothing has any identity outside of it.

Anyway, that's me going overboard about just the aesthetic part of the game... :3
BahamutKaiser

Postby Bragatyr » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:03 pm

Nina Windia wrote:Bring it back to the old days of Breath of Fire 1 & 2. I still think they had so much magic and depth.

I would really like to see it again, with better graphic and music. I don't even mind using the battle system of the 5th game, but I really want them to go back on the roots of the Dragon Clan

I would be all for that!
Bragatyr

Postby -sparkle- » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:12 pm

Agreed to that what Nina said.
I also would love to create an own character, changing haircolor, eye color, the physical build, race and class.
I maybe would try to go more like MMORPGs, not having any rounds but walk around freely and shoot some magic (or fight with swords xD)
but it HAS to have a lot of story in there ! mostly about the brood of course :D.
-sparkle-

Postby BahamutKaiser » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:16 pm

With the decline of JRPGs, it might be a good thing if the series adapted to a more action RPG style like Skyrim or Dragon's Dogma, or at least somewhere between Dragon Quarter and the Tales series. But I don't feel comfortable with them making an MMO in the series like FFXI and XIV, that runs the same hazard as the mobile version, where it will remain a playable game so long as their is a consistent population of active players.

I think Breath of Fire is a rich enough universe for an MMO, but most of those usually fall out of line with the story experience you get from a typical entry. If anything, a multiplayer CO OP feature might be interesting, but even here, you run the unseemliness of unique characters being duplicated. I'd prefer a character driven story rather than a free form sandbox in the BoF universe.

I'd love a game with the same elements but more sandbox experience, it just doesn't need to associate itself with BoF to succeed.

Beyond that I'm more interested in the dragons and Woren and Wyndians than a human character customizer. I would like Ryu to be the protagonist, and he definitely doesn't need a distraction like My Unit from Fire Emblem to subtract from it.

The only healthy way for both to coexist would be to have a separate single player game, and an optional DLC or expansion with a separate sandbox experience sold on the side. Making great renewable gameplay and repurposing it for many experiences would be a great way to make the most content for players.
BahamutKaiser

Postby Bragatyr » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:37 pm

I do think a Breath of Fire MMO would actually be pretty awesome, what with the different tribes and significant history and back story of the series. I would actually probably have been happier with a full-on MMO than with the current, kind of nebulous browser-based thing. But hey, maybe some of the same ideas will apply.

It would just be kind of neat to see what clans excel at what classes, and that sort of thing. I would probably play a Woren, they are awesome.
Bragatyr

Postby CarnageCrayon » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:55 am

i think a full scale mmo would be nice, with differen storylines for each race that lead together at the lvl cap/end game content. artstyle should be inspired by the bof4 art, soft lines, eastern influences and everything, but at the same time on a higher graphic level like final fantasy. (sounds contradictive i know^^)

another cool spinoff idea would be a rts game where you fight the different brood wars, like light dragons vs dark dragons or brood vs guardians

for a traditional jrpg id still like a random encounter round based fighting system, but with a little more "action" to it. i think the shadow hearts franchise has a great way to make the round based system a little more active and less boring as you have to hit certain areas on a ring to attack successfully or get a crit hit. just spice it up a little
CarnageCrayon

Postby Pabupabupukapuka » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:36 pm

CarnageCrayon wrote:
for a traditional jrpg id still like a random encounter round based fighting system, but with a little more "action" to it. i think the shadow hearts franchise has a great way to make the round based system a little more active and less boring as you have to hit certain areas on a ring to attack successfully or get a crit hit. just spice it up a little

^^^^one way they could spice up traditional turn-based style is by blending strong elements from IV and V. Prearranged battle screens and prearranged placement of characters can make a revamped return (as in no moving around worrying about AP use like in DQ). Characters should be on the fly like the battle system of IV, while attacks are preassigned to each button like V, with subsets for normal attacks and special attacks and AP dictating restrictions of commands (AP will reset each turn and also stock up for the "back row" characters).

They would of course need to tweak things so the combos could be performed by multiple characters like in IV instead of individually like V. Maybe in addition to the back row stocking up on AP, the back row characters can combo in with whosever turn it is by pressing R and L or something, allowing for seamless character switching. This could make things interesting, for example, in the scenario where a character attacks until their gauge is almost empty but then they are swapped out last minute for a back row character whose AP has reached its limit and thus is able to not only combo in, but continue the turn until their AP gauge is gone. This would be limited to one swap per character turn.

Example: During Deis'sturn, Nina is the back row. The player may swap with Nina (or whomever else is in the back row) and swap back to Deis until both of their AP has run out. The player may not swap to any other character during Deis's turn once they have chosen who will swap in. Then Ryu's turn comes next because he's slower than Deis (armor and sword and all). Ryu may not swap and combo with Nina because her AP has run out, and so he has a choice between the remaining two back row characters. However, if the player chose to end Deis's turn before Nina's AP ran out, she will still be able to combo and swap with Ryu until her AP ran out. The remaining front row character has a choice of whoever remains in the back row with sufficient AP to perform even the weakest attack.

Yeah, I know limiting the combo system with the element of strict pairing sounds kinda lame, but ideally you would still be capable of strategically planning out level 3 combo spells with even two characters. Example: Deis uses flare, to which she swaps with Nina who casts cyclone which turn into Simoon, and then swapping back to Deis to cast Typhoon--OR Nina doesn't switch back to Deis and instead casts Typhoon herself. Either way, you would produce Gigaflare.

Also, the element of equiping armor with techniques like counter-attacks in BoFV was neat. That should make a return, ideally without breaking chain combos. Example: Ryu's slash technique can combo in with a back row character's melee technique even when the foe's armor enables a counter-attack between the two commands.

Items and other menu options won't cost AP.

The D-system can be implemented. Transforming won't cost AP because of the AP system mentioned above, and you can transform into a hybrid or an actual dragon with it's own set of melee and special attacks and AP gauge. Imagine the possibilities combo-swapping between a transformed Ryu and a shaman infused character in the back row. The combo attacks would be vicious. But once the form is used up (as in all of it's AP or HP gauge runs out) you'll need to rest at an inn before using that form again.
Last edited by Pabupabupukapuka on Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
Pabupabupukapuka

Next

Return to Breath of Fire discussion