Favorite Party Member for Each Game?

Talk about the games here!

Moderator: -sparkle-

Favorite Party Member for Each Game?

Postby MrBaba » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:12 am

I simply ask this because I'm curious as to who's your favorite from each game? Be it for either personality, story, usefulness in battle and whatnot. Since I've only played the first three so far, I can only give a quick pick for each.

I: Deis / Bleu. Holy crap, do I enjoy having her on my team once I get her. That one scene during Tunlan gave me a soft spot for her, not to mention her prowess in battle is quite nice.
II: Hmm, so far somewhat of a tie between Nina, Katt and Rand. I know there's Bleu in the game, but I felt like giving Nina some time to shine.
III: Oooh... that's a tough choice. Possibly Momo due to her versatile support spells or Ryu due to his insanely good dragon forms. Or Rei. Or Garr. My god, this one is hard. D:
MrBaba

Re: Favorite Party Member for Each Game?

Postby Bragatyr » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:37 pm

Slightly tough question for me. Okay...

I: Probably Ox. I like the big, strong, slow types. Mogu was cool, too, as was Bo.

II: Rand. By far. Same reason as above. And he looks awesome. Great stats, too.

III: Garr. Peco is really close, and I love Rei and Momo, but you can't beat Garr in my eyes.

IV: Probably Ursula. Or Ershin. Ershin was hilarious and definitely my fave for the first half of the game, but after the reveal the character sort of dropped from the narrative and at that point I would say Bleu herself was more interesting.

V: Lin. Shooting a boss point blank with her gun for the win is too awesome.
Bragatyr

Postby Thetis » Mon May 11, 2015 8:38 pm

Well, this is a complex question! Let me see...I'll list my favorite characters in terms of battle utility, and then list who I liked in terms of personality.

I: Ryu I. Dragon forms without AP cost maintenance? Uber powerful character for the win! That's for battle utility. And I liked Nina I a lot too, because I always keep a healer in my party. They're awesome. ;) She was probably my favorite in-party character.

II: Bleu/Deis. Considering that she outstrips Ryu II and bloody everybody else in stats, of course she's the best character. Personally, though I leave her out of the party in the regular game because I feel like I'm cheating... Nina II is one of my favorite characters, and Katt was neat.

III: Ryu III, but why did they have to make him the best healer? Healing or dragon forms, which one will it be? XP Garr, I could relate to a lot. (Go against the goddess who made him, or side with the right? Hmmm...painful quandary, indeed.)

IV: One of the few rpgs where all the characters were good in battle and worked together well. In terms of characters, I like the Ryu/Nina relationship in this a lot.

V: Lin! I love using her in battle. So much fun. My favorite party member in terms of story was probably Nina, though. Poor thing just makes me want to give her a hug. ^_^
Thetis

Postby MrBaba » Mon May 11, 2015 8:53 pm

As a friend of mine put it, Deis too stronk. Ergo she got the ultimate nerf of not being playable in III.

Though the stat boosting items in II could probably level the playing field, but I wasn't going to waste so much time on that crap when I've got the last dungeon left.
MrBaba

Postby Thetis » Sun May 17, 2015 1:27 am

I knew there was a stat boosting thing where you can bake stuff in the carpenter's oven, but I wish they had a consistent way of getting all the stat boosting items in BoFIV. There are five or six of them, and while you can get three of them from fishing a lot, I never could find a good way to get the other two, three odd ones. I tried sending my faeries on searches, but that has an extremely high mortality rate. :(
Thetis

Postby CarnageCrayon » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:26 am

In 3 it was Rei for me, hands down. Peco is a very close second.[quote="Bragatyr"]Slightly tough question for me. Okay...

"but you can't beat Garr in my eyes. " well ryu did in the angel tower :-P

In 4 it was Scias. I loved his fighting animation and his creepy/dorky smile when he made a joke.

In 5 it was Nina. She just seemed so fragile but also determined, i really felt with her the whole game
CarnageCrayon

Postby Rurouni » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:22 pm

BoF: Bo/Gilliam, though he's a bit underused overall but his dynamic intro as you're about to face the General was really well done, and he's tied in one of the better arcs in the game (Stone Robot). I also liked the fun Karn and Gobi interactions. Wish the game was more fleshed out though...

BoFII: Hardest one, really. Story-wise, Nina and Sten really steal the show from the party and both are nicely rounded-up. Design-wise, Rand is such a formidable muscle mountain (and his punching animation is really nice too). Gameplay-wise it'd probably be Nina again.

BoFIII: Garr, hands down. An imposing character with such a great introduction (putting the scare on Balio and Sunder, who until then were pretty much invincible for us players), animations and backstory. Loved his redemption arc and the sad realization that it would lead to his death (he's also the only party member in the series to not survive his game). Rei's stylin' and funny personality, plus gameplay efficiency (something Garr sadly lacks) gives him a very close second.

BoFIV: Scias was my first choice, lovely rogue with a quirky personality and some brutal techniques, plus 2+ swords and a badass iai stance. Wish he'd have gotten some more exposition though, his arc is pretty short and unsatisfactory overall.

BoFV: Lin, a nice design and style and the combo system is an interesting gameplay choice for her.

And thus far I'm going with Jubei for 6, the old badass archetype helps him stand out to me IMO.
Rurouni

Postby Hiro365 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:14 am

Karn: I really like his arc, and exploring the tomb.

Sten/Jean: Again Their story arcs are really fun.

Momo: I like her character, and also when her cannon hits it is really satisfying.

Scias: Because he's fluffy, also of the two relatively silent swordsmen, Scias is more interesting.

Ryu: I guess, I don't know how to feel about this game. I really like some of the ideas and directions it tries, but I don't find the gameplay fun.

BoF6: We'll see.
Hiro365

Postby Pabupabupukapuka » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:33 am

Bof I : Deis because spells galore

BoF II: same reason for Deis in I

BoFIII: Rei because weretiger

BoFIV Scias & Ursula, certified worthy allies.

V: Nina because of her interesting design which vaguely seems to serve a functional purpose with regards to her backstory and her combat abilities
Pabupabupukapuka

Postby Thetis » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:34 am

I forgot from BoFI...Karn's Puka form! That's not really a character, but an amalgam of characters, though. My party at the end of the game was Ryu, Nina, Bleu/Deis, and Puka. Though that didn't really work for the final battle because of the Agni/Infinity thing...
Thetis

Next

Return to Breath of Fire discussion