How did you get into Breath of Fire?

Talk about the games here!

Moderator: -sparkle-

How did you get into Breath of Fire?

Postby Spleepoppetween » Sun May 24, 2015 5:50 pm

Hey guys! I wanna know how you got into the series in the first place, I thought this would be interesting to hear. Also if this was discussed before on a thread sorry about that, I couldn't find one so thought I would start one myself Image

I'll share first. When I was a kid I was usually a generation or so behind on consoles and I had a snes, I also didn't have a lot of games for it either. One day my dad was babysitting me and brought two games home and told me I could have one of them, one was Breath of Fire II and the other was some game I couldn't remember the name of (come to think of it might of been Final Fantasy 4). I played both of them and Breath of Fire II caught my eye, I took that one and played the heck out of it. It was my first real RPG and I grew up with that one game being special to me because of it.

So how about you guys?
Spleepoppetween

Re: How did you get into Breath of Fire?

Postby Whoops » Sun May 24, 2015 7:30 pm

My Uncle had a Super Nintendo and showed me the Breath Of Fire games. I've loved them ever since.
Whoops

Postby MrBaba » Sun May 24, 2015 8:48 pm

Well, I saw BoFI and II mentioned in the Nintendo Power magazines I got around the GBA's launch. Thought it looked interesting, but I really didn't get into it until I started speaking with a friend about them and he suggested that I give em a try and well... here I am. Relative newcomer to the series. ^^
MrBaba

Postby -sparkle- » Mon May 25, 2015 6:45 pm

My cousin intodruced to me and my brothers Breath of Fire 3 about 14 years ago.
It was the first one I fell in love with. I watched my oldest brother beating the game and one or two years later I played it myself :'D. Ryu was my first childhood crush ;'D
-sparkle-

Postby Bragatyr » Tue May 26, 2015 2:54 am

My first one was Breath of Fire II. I think a good friend of mine suggested it to me, more or less, which is funny, because one of the first times I rented it (when they had rental stores, which makes me feel like an old geezer) I checked out one of the files and saw these amazing, bright, shamanized forms and couldn't believe what had happened to the characters and imagined I'd never get that far in the game. The next time I talked to my friend it turned out it was his save file.
Bragatyr

Postby Thetis » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:08 am

I got a SNES in about 1994 to play The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Super Mario RPG came out, and that was my first real experience with an rpg. I then got to play Final Fantasy III (VI) and fell in love with the genre. I picked up a lot of rpgs around then, including the first Breath of Fire, and it wasn't one of my favorites, but was fun game. I missed Breath of Fire II because I couldn't afford it.

My brother got Breath of Fire III for PSone, and though I liked it, the game had a lot of problems. I purchased of BoFIV a while later, and left it sitting in a box for some months. Then I finally put it in the system, and it turned me into a real fan of the Breath of Fire series. Dragon Quarter made me a committed fan. ^_^
Thetis

Postby Casey » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:33 pm

Casey
Global Mod

Postby naylevert » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:48 pm

-Posted from my iPhone
naylevert

Postby Turbo852 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:04 pm

My answer is the same as Casey's. But it was a number of years later before I actually got to try it.

My grandpa owned Breath of Fire II. So one Christmas when visiting him, he put it into his SNES and had me play it. I was hooked instantly and some time later he sent me a copy of BoF and BoF III. I didn't get BoF II a few years ago when I inherited his collection. I also got BoF IV along with II and I had gotten Dragon Quarter a few years earlier. The original is still the only one I've completed, but I am close to the end on both II and III.
Turbo852

Postby LoDebar » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:48 pm

My brother and I subscribed to a Swedish gaming magazine called Super Power, later Super PLAY. The editor in chief, Tobias Bjarneby, was a big fan of RPGs and made great articles and reviews for all those games that didn't get to Europe. So for my tenth birthday my wishlist was various RPGs, and I didn't know which were import only titles, but I assume that's why Breath of Fire II was the one my dad got me from Germany.

I was 10, I wasn't perfectly fluent in English yet, and the mechanics of an RPG were new to me. I learned a lot of new words, and I was immersed in the world. And just the fact that the hero's name isn't listed in the booklet and I got to put mine in and make choices that make a difference was such a huge deal. I had played Zelda:ALttP, but I knew Link as Link, and naming him something else didn't change who he was. In BoF2, I was the hero.

I could say a lot more about my first experiences with BoF2, but to answer the title in the shortest way possible, getting BoF2 for my tenth birthday and playing it was enough.

I called game stores about BoF1 and found out it didn't come out in Europe. I was disheartened until I managed to emulate it. I couldn't get any sound to work back then, but I still loved playing it, even if I thought it wasn't nearly as good as BoF2.
Through the magazines mentioned earlier I learned that BoF3 was coming to the Playstation. I was disappointed, because I couldn't get a second console and we wouldn't not get a Nintendo64. And then BoF4 twisted the knife some more. But early in the Gamecube era, I found the PC version of BoF4 at a market. Bought it without hesitation. It ran choppy on my PC, some animations and mandatory cutscenes would practically freeze the game if not crash the PC completely, it was a known issue. I got to the final boss, couldn't beat him since I couldn't use the best dragon skills, so I got the bad ending so I could say I beat the game, and vowed to play the PS version some time. Then when Dragon Quarter came out, I blew through my savings to buy a PS2, and eventually I got all the PS Breath of Fire games.
I never did own BoF1 legit. My GBA:s and DS:s have broken, been repaired and broken again, so I lost my motivation for a copy of the GBA port. But I do have a GBA Player for my Gamecube now, so maybe I could still track it down.
LoDebar

Next

Return to Breath of Fire discussion