Starting out BoFIV. Any advice for a newcomer?

Talk about the games here!

Moderator: -sparkle-

Starting out BoFIV. Any advice for a newcomer?

Postby MrBaba » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:57 pm

So I'm starting to play Breath of Fire IV today, but before I go too far in it. I would like to ask for any starting advice from the people who've played it before and let me know what I need to look out for. (Missable items, sidequests, what magic to use, etc.)

I'm not sure if I should post this topic here or not, but I haven't found another fitting place to put it.
MrBaba

Re: Starting out BoFIV. Any advice for a newcomer?

Postby shadowfox » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:00 am

One fun Easter egg to look out for is Momo cameo appearance. She's a master that can help boost the stats of one of your party members.

Hint: she's in Wyndia.
“All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusion is called a philosopher.”

― Ambrose Bierce
shadowfox

Postby MrBaba » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:06 am

Yes, that's a nice easter egg, but that doesn't really help me out in my current situation at all. I was referring to the game mechanics and learning where things are.

I currently have gotten Cray and Ershin in the party right now and got past the dream sequence.
MrBaba

Postby CarnageCrayon » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:28 am

I think the combosystem is one thing that makes the game so amazing. When you combine different elemental magic attacks you can create powerful magic attacks with both attributes.
The combinations are the following (if i remember correctly):
Earth + Fire
Fire + Wind
Wind + Water
Water + Earth
Those attacks change with the level of the attack you use.
Other combos you can use are with the same type of attack, for example when you use super combo with shadowwalk, this kind of combo amplifies the attack.
The last combo you can make is an assistcombo. When you start with a heal magic and continue with an assist magic that for example raises your attack, this spell also gives back a little healing.

Thats all i can think of for now. Im gonna read a little about the masters later and tell you which one have skills you might want to have
CarnageCrayon

Postby NukaCola » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:57 pm

For missable items, consult this GameFAQs thread (there's not much to miss out on, although I'd recommend making sure you get the Treasure Ball in Ludia) http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/196818-b ... v/71337214
NukaCola
Global Mod

Postby MrBaba » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:43 pm

Okay, I'm at the beginning of Chapter II: The Endless. Enjoying what I'm playing so far. Though I am confused with what gets the Combo System started. Sometimes I use the right spells in the right order and yet it still doesn't go. Is it randomly activated or something? Because it's a real pain in the ass when I'm trying to get the Goo Count upgrade to use Icicle. (According to this one FAQ I read. Could it be wrong though?)
MrBaba

Postby CarnageCrayon » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:34 am

Afaik its purely random. The only thing that helps if im not mistaken is when the speed stats of your chars are close to each other
CarnageCrayon

Postby MrBaba » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:10 am

Well, that's disappointing to know. Does explain why I don't consistently get combos in battle.

Anyways, I've made it up to Lyp and upgraded my equipment and gotten nearly all the dragons I can get so far. So should I continue on with plot or get sidetracked with fishing? :T
MrBaba

Postby WorenArrow » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:59 am

I would highly recommend practicing with combos considering the bosses, especially last boss. Also, the characters' speed?

But there is something else! There is FISHING, one of the funnest things about BoF series.

You can trade in the fish for, if I recall, for tickets that you can use to buy very rare items such as weapons. I think compared to BoF 3, fishing is a bit easier. The key is, while fishing, you have to listen to the background music. It gives you hints to the button pattern. It has a relaxing BGM theme in fishing, courtesy of our dear Aoki. Theme is called "
[highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]Tototon Tototon To". [/highlight]

I achieved MAX points in fishing about 2-3 years ago Image Was working on BOF3 max but I think my controller is no good.
Last edited by WorenArrow on Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WorenArrow

Postby MrBaba » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:15 am

I have been trying to practice my combos, the speed issue is something I'll need to remedy.

As for the fishing, I have been trying to get used to it though I feel fishing in III was easier personally. I should really use it more often to see what I can get.

I have gotten through to the Mountains... at the cost of my Mutant crystal. Damn that fat Chiaotzu looking jerk. ><
MrBaba

Next

Return to Breath of Fire discussion