Starting out BoFIV. Any advice for a newcomer?

Talk about the games here!

Moderator: -sparkle-

Re: Starting out BoFIV. Any advice for a newcomer?

Postby WorenArrow » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:51 pm

I'm trying to recall. I think you traded one of your crystals? I believe you can get it back at one of the southern region locations?
WorenArrow

Postby MrBaba » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:38 am

Oy, I hope so. Because that is a dick move, game. :/

Also how close am I to the endgame btw?
MrBaba

Postby Boss » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:52 am

I believe two of the crystals actually ARE missable, and cannot be retrieved after completing those areas / giving the Mutant crystal away.

You hardly need anything more than (controlled) Kaiser, though. Wyvern -> Weyr is sorta good for the short period when you still have berserk Kaiser, but you just transform into one to beat the bosses in, like, 2 turns, so it doesn't matter that much.

Fishing can be foregone if you don't find it enjoyable, even if some good items can obtained as a result of some time spent with the minigame (such as the only 2-hit weapon Cray can ever get). Having Rainbow Trouts is incredibly effective for buffing up a single physical attacker during boss battles, though, and they're easy to catch early on.
Boss

Postby MrBaba » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:35 pm

Duly noted. Kaiser really does help big time. And made a chump out of Won-qu. Seriously, I had more trouble with the dice boss.

Did you know I had the wrong type of Master on my characters for quite a while? :V

And well, ... fucking Yuna.. :/
MrBaba

Postby Boss » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:11 pm

I think it's a little hard to actually screw up your party with 'wrong' master choices. It's pretty valid to give Cray more AP, Scias more AP and magic, and any Ryu build is pretty good, even if some paths are more intuitive and productive than others (focusing on all out-attack with Ryu and Scias for example). I'm sure you can think of some abominations like physical Nina (which probably wouldn't be so bad at all considering she'll have, like, endless AP for Shadowwalk spam from chapter 1 until the end of the game), but it's hard to really screw your party up.

Both BoF3 and BoF4 do a great job with leaving you with a wealth of options to try out masterwise, contributing to the games' replay value IMHO.
Boss

Postby WorenArrow » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:36 am

Did you whoop on Won-Qu really good? He can be a real annoying jerk sometimes, especially on first playthrough.
WorenArrow

Postby MrBaba » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:59 am

That I did. And since this is my first playthrough, I honestly expected em to be well... tougher than that. Kind of a letdown to be honest. I blame my Master-boosted stats. :V

Honestly right now, I'm trying to fish for stuff because completionism and I do like having powerful stuff on my side soo....
MrBaba

Postby MrBaba » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:20 am

Aaand completed the game. Fou-Lu at least put up more of a fight than the previous final bosses I've faced. Damn Soul Rend. Damn absurd amounts of HP. But I took him down in the end (Thank Scias for getting the last hit in.)

Overall, I do say that I do like IV as a whole, but some of the things it does really rub me the wrong way. Like the pacing for one and Yuna getting away for another. I did like how the party members were for the most part pretty useful through out the game, admittedly Cray kinda fell behind in the end. Nina, on the other hand, was a little beast from beginning to end. :V

Yet I find myself not liking it as much as some of the earlier games. Pacing didn't help, admittedly III I felt was guilty of that too, the story mandatory minigames were kinda blegh to me.

It's kinda hard for me to put my full feelings into words on this. I might post it later once I fully understand what I thought about the game.
MrBaba

Postby Boss » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:25 am

It's a pity Capcom decided to radically change the series' experience following BoF4, as there was quite a bit to improve there to compete with the generation's FF titles and the like. I still love replaying the first four games, but they do have issues that would spoil a new player's experience and turn them off from the series.
Boss

Postby WorenArrow » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:16 pm

LOL, everybody hates Yuna. Image

Unfortunately, Fou-lu's coolness gets censored at one point in the game
WorenArrow

Previous

Return to Breath of Fire discussion