Breath of Fire 3 - Japanese

Talk about the games here!

Moderator: -sparkle-

Re: Breath of Fire 3 - Japanese

Postby Rurouni » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:25 am

Oh no, they are Japanese. It's just they are made-up words composed of actual words with meaning (usually English words), and usually deformed in some way to make them sound more "magical". Bear in mind that all spells are written in katakana, which is used to write foreign words in Japanase. This indicates they aren't meant to have much of a meaning and are more like shouts, although I decided to include translations anyway just because.

The fire spells are a play on the Japanese word for "Napalm" (ナパーム, napaamu) with random syllables added: Flare is "Padamu" (パダム, "napamu" with some letters changed), Fireblast is "Padaama" (パダーマ, the ending "mu" was changed into "ama" here) and Inferno is Padoraama (パドラーマ, changed the "da" from the previous spell for a "dora".). The skill Burn is included in this wordplay as its named Pamu (パム), padamu without the middle kana making it resemble the latter half of napalm/napaamu.

The ice spells are apparently rooted in the Japanese word for cold ("rei"), so you get Frost or "Reiga" (レイガ , so "cold-ga" in a sense) and Iceblast or "Reigiru" (レイギル, "Cold-giru" or "Cold-gil"?). Blizzard or "Gureigoru" (グレイゴル) is different here, since the first part is taken from the Japanese word for "Glacier" (グレイシャー, gureishaa) while also keeping the "rei" in the name, so it could tentatively be translated "Glaygol" (if you want to preserve the glacier connection) or "Greigol" (if you want to preserve the "rei" root).

The lightning spells are really easy, since for some reason the 3rd level spell gives out its reference: Mjollnir is "Baruharaa" (バルハラー) which literally translates into "Valhalla" (a sort of paradise world in Norse mythology), so the first two spells are just the first two kana/syllables repeated: Jolt is "Baru" (バル) or "Val" and Lightning is "Babaru" (ババル) or "Vaval".

I've yet to find a root for the earth and wind spells, although the wind spells (sheeza and shezaaga) include a sound suspiciously similar to the onomatopeia for a strong rain or (fittingly) a typhoon (zaa zaa).

The healing spells are a bit more complicated:
+ Heal is "Ririfu" (リリフ), which is "Relief" (リリーフ, ririifu) without the vowel extension, so it could be rendered "Relif". All following spells retain the "rifu" at the end of their names.
+ Rejuvenate is "Apurifu" (アプリフ), with "Apu" perhaps deformed from "Up" (アップ, appu), so "Uplif" or "Aplif" (if you want to be really precise).
+ Restore is "Topurifu" (トプリフ), now changing "up" with "top" (トップ, toppu), so "toplif".

The all-party curatives mixes things up a bit more:
+ Vitalize is "Rifuraru" (リフラル), now "lif" at the beginning with "raru" perhaps a deformation of "all" (オール, ooru), given its the first all-party curative spell. This could perhaps be rendered "Liflall" or "Lifrall".
+ Vigor is "Rifuresuto" (リフレスト), making a word play with the Japanese rendering of the word "Refresh" (リフレッシュ, rifuresshu) with the "rifu", leaving a tentative translation of "Lifrest" or "Refrest".

The poison curative Purify is "Yakuri" (ヤクリ), with "yaku" being part of the Japanese word for "medicine" and ri perhaps the first half of "rifu" from above. Remedy is "Yakurifu" (ヤクリフ), now using the full "rifu" particle from the healing spells. So these names can be rendered "Medic-li" and "Medic-lif".

Ressurection spells have their own little word plays:
+ Raise Dead is "Ribaru" (リバル) or "Revival" (リバイバル, ribaibaru) with two less kana/one less syllable, so "Reval".
+ Ressurect is "Ribarura" (リバルラ), the same as before with an extra "ra". In old Japanese, the "ra" was a suffix pluralizer, which fits perfectly with the spell's all-party effect. So this could be rendered "Revalra" or "Revals" if you want to go with the old Japanese meaning.

Drain is "Rekuta" (レクタ), which appears to be taken from the Japanese word for "Redirect" (リダイレクト, ridairekuto) considering it sort of "redirects" HP from the target to you. As such, this could be rendered "Recta". Leech Power is "Marekuta" (マレクタ), the same as before with a "ma" in front, which is probably from the Japanese kanji for magic (majutsu) given its AP-leeching effect, so this is either "Marecta" or "Magi-recta" if you wanna be fancy. There's also the skill Transfer whose Japanese name is "Takurema" (タクレマ), or Marekuta/Leech Power backwards (so Atcer-igam? LOL)

Protect is "Katekuto" (カテクト), which is the last part of the Japanese word for protect (プロテクト, purotekuto) with "ka" (perhaps from the Japanese prefix for "super") instead of "puro". This leaves "Katect" or "Super-tect". Shield is "Mikatekuto", with mi maaaybe being a shortened form of "minna" (everyone) given its all-party effect, leaving out "Mikatect" or "All-Super-tect". As a side note, there's an unused spell called "Miyakuri" in the game, which given all the above would be "All-Medic-lif", or an all-party Remedy (and the animation when used is actually just that).

Most of the other status spells are harder to understand. Might/Gigaato may be based on "Giant" or "Giganto" and Speed/Hasaato may be based on "Haste", but I've yet to find anything good for Slow/Daaru, Blunt/Sutooru and Weaken/Diiru.

Finally, out of the status attacks only Sleep or "Nemurii" (ネムリィ) I understand as being based on Japanese for "Sleep" (nemuri) with an extra i, so "Sleepi" would perhaps work. Confuse/Powan and Silence/Pepoopa are a mystery to me.

I think that pretty much covers it up for BOF3 atleast.
Rurouni

Postby Nina Windia » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:21 pm

Does the game has a second title?

I'm pretty sure at one point, it was called "The last of the Brood" or something like that.
Nina Windia
Site Admin

Postby Rurouni » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:32 am

Far as I've seen, Breath of Fire III had no subtitle at any point during development. Bit of an odd thing IMO, given all other games in the franchise have one. But for some reason, this one didn't.
Rurouni

Postby Nina Windia » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:41 am

And that's what I find weird. Because I do remember a title. I dunno from where, but I do remember a title something like the "last of the brood".

Isn't it weird? XD
Nina Windia
Site Admin

Postby Rurouni » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:31 pm

It is quite weird, specially since all games before and after have one. Really wonder what happened there...

Hey, if you wanna get technical, the subtitle for all games has always been used as the name of the main theme, specially in the first and second which is the name of the music that plays in the title screen. So going by his logic, BOF3 would be Breath of Fire III: For the Dragons (竜に捧ぐ, Ryū ni sasagu) or Breath of Fire III: Dedicated to the Dragon :razz:

At the same time, it's almost the same phrase used in the end of the narration during the Gary/Mogu prologue: この物語を竜に捧げる, "this tale is dedicated to the Dragons".
Rurouni

Postby Nina Windia » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:39 pm

Interesting!

I didn't notice it!
Nina Windia
Site Admin

Postby Kareg » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:36 pm

Rurouni wrote:
デスマスク ---- Desumasuku ---- Deathmask ---- Deathmask

デスマック - Death Mac
It's a team name of the Mac brothers:
"Deathmask versus Kenichi? I don't know… Maybe I'll bet on a different match…
「デスマックVSケニーチ?
なんか、ヘボそうだなぁ・・
とちゅうで 逃げ出したり
するんじゃないのか?

Rurouni wrote:
ファー ---- Faa ---- Fah ---- Fa'ah

Oasis is a distant place after all, so maybe “Far”?

Rurouni wrote:
キノシタリョウ ---- Kinoshita Ryou ---- Ryou Kinoshita (winner of the name contest) ---- N/a (his name was removed from the English translation, he's the cook next to Hachio in Wyndia)

Here's what he says:
"One day...I'll be a great cook, just like Hachio! That's why I've got to practice, practice, practice!
「俺・・ キノシタリョウも・・
いつか、親方に負けない
りっぱなコックに
なってみせる・・!
そのためには、まず
火星だこの りょうりだっ!

Rurouni wrote:
マンモ ---- Manmo ---- Manmo ---- Manmo

マンモ is short for マンモス, I think. Mammo?

Rurouni wrote:
イワオカイン ---- Iwaokain ---- Rock Cain ---- Magmaite

Rock Cairn?

Rurouni wrote:
しこみドス ---- Shikomi Dosu ---- Training Dosu (Yakuza Sword) ---- Hidden Dagger

It’s Nina’s weapon – the dagger hidden in a staff.
http://imgur.com/a/kLBwG

Rurouni wrote:
キャロ ---- Kyaro ---- Caro ---- Caro

Short for Carolina.

Rurouni wrote:
ヘビーキャロ ---- Hebii Kyaro ---- Heavy Caro ---- Heavy Caro

Heavy Carolina.

Rurouni wrote:
毒けし ---- Doku Keshi ---- Poison Poppy ---- Antidote

毒けし - Antidote

Rurouni wrote:
グミロード ---- Gumiroodo ---- Gumi Lord ---- Man-O'-War

グミフロート – Gumi Float

Rurouni wrote:
ボルデビ ---- Borudebi ---- Borrdeby ---- Devil Fish

It seems this word is composed of "Volt" and "Devil". And it can be used in battle as Thunder spell.

Rurouni wrote:
サビ草 ---- Sabi Kusa ---- Ancient Grass ---- Horseradish

Wasabi grass?

Rurouni wrote:
ウールオル地方 ---- Uuruoru chihou ---- Oureol Region (my translation, but could be translated differently) ---- Yraall Region

ウール – Wool and オル - to weave?

Rurouni wrote:
エッグノッグ街道 ---- Eggunoggu Kaidou ---- Eggnog Road ---- Eygnook Road

エッグノック街道 – Eggnock Highway
http://imgur.com/a/Ivru8

Rurouni wrote:
やみ市 ---- Yami-shi ---- Darkness City (note that Bleak Japanese name is “Yami no Machi” or “Darkness Town”) ---- Sin City

But やみ市 is also means Black Market.

And I have fairies' list:

アウラ --- Palce --- Aura --- Aura
ギュメイ --- Serow --- Gyumei
ワパウ --- Candy --- Wapau
ジル --- Jill --- Jiru --- Jill (From Resident Evil)
リィリ --- Chao --- Riri --- Lili
ダダ --- Pao --- Dada
ジャルク --- Jaluc --- Jyaruku
ドイア --- Dolia --- Doia
ヴェルヌ --- Verne --- Berunu --- Verne
ラクテア --- Pooch --- Rakutea
クゥイン --- Quin --- Kuin --- Quin
シャペリン --- Coo --- Jyaperin
バランダ --- Alto --- Baranda --- Skilly
アーチャ --- Soap --- Achya --- Achoo
ダリューヌ --- Tenor --- Daryunu
モヘンガ --- Bass --- Mohenga --- Mohinga (rice noodle and fish soup)
ヒューリー --- Pasta --- Hyuri --- Fury
エリオク --- Chip --- Erioku
ギギ --- Pan --- Gigi
テュール --- Kalen --- Tyuru --- Tyr
デルニエ --- Delta --- Derunie
クリアナ --- Popo --- Kuriana
ペリーダ --- Green --- Perida
ラフレシア --- Pinky --- Rafureshia --- Rafflesia
ファビ --- Silvy --- Fabi
ホテップ --- Spice --- Hoteppu --- Hotep
カフラー --- Marin --- Kafura --- Kafra
ド --- Alpha --- Do
ゲルニア --- Wink --- Gerunia
バグナバ --- Comet --- Bagunaba
ダイア ---Lily --- Daia --- Diamond
ファーファ --- Lemon --- Fafa
キリィ --- Moon --- Kiri
パック --- Chirp --- Pakku --- Pack
ティータ --- Apple --- Tita
ソレネ --- Tulip --- Sorene
アタウパ --- Rose --- Ataupa
キドニー --- Mint --- Kidoni --- Kidney
ヴォルケ --- Olive --- Boruke --- Wolke
ゼルナナ --- Pear --- Zerunana
ラグ --- Sloth --- Ragu --- Rag
ムギー --- Grape --- Mugi
ダルフ --- Melon --- Darufu --- Dalf
エフタ --- Spitz --- Efuta
ンジョモ --- Berry --- Njyomo ---
Njyomo(Breath of Fire 4 Master)
ツォレルン --- Wolke --- Tsorerun --- Zollern
アエネウス --- Frau --- Aeneusu --- Aeneus
ナディ --- Vogel --- Nadi
ポンカン --- Sonia --- Ponkan --- Tangerine
ナグ --- Wald --- Nagu --- Nag
シビウ --- Rebe --- Shibiu
チャリオ --- Yip --- Chario
ヌゥアザ --- Scat --- Nuaza
エーコ --- Pfau --- Eiko
アーア --- Dr.K --- A-a --- Ah-oh
ロロナ --- Apfel --- Rorona
リン --- Mr.Q --- Rin
ギザイ --- Ein --- Gizai
ヨッヘン --- Zwei --- Yohhen
セントピー --- Drei --- Sento Pi --- Saint P
Last edited by Kareg on Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:20 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Kareg

Postby ThanatosZero » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:45 pm

It really has some time, hasn't it?
When I started a new playthrough of BoFIII, I was feeling I should pay my respects to my old colleagues.
I know that I asked on old DragonTear the question if there was any cut story content, which would have answered questions about things which went unexplained.
It kinda stupid you know, as it would have been great if Jono would have answered questions of Rei for example.
But oh well.
Is there anything new revealed by the old Capcom employees about BoFIII?
ThanatosZero

Postby Rurouni » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:02 am

Oh, didn't noticed this reply! Thanks for the corrections Kareg, I made the list so long ago and made a few mistakes, but corrected most of it when I transcribed and updated the list on the wikia (I and Kahran made corrected pages for all five JP=>EN lists on the wiki actually, if anyone wanna check 'em). I still missed a few, so thanks for pointing them out!

Also, you mind if I include the Faerie list in the wiki as well?
Rurouni

Postby Kareg » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:01 pm

Rurouni wrote:Also, you mind if I include the Faerie list in the wiki as well?

Well, I don't mind. And I have an xls table with fairies' stats, maybe it'll help.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-DZFDUztXX-N2VQN252ZElyVzg/view?usp=sharing
Kareg

PreviousNext

Return to Breath of Fire discussion