What's with all the hate?

Talk about the coming new game!

Moderator: MrBaba

What's with all the hate?

Postby dindevalhalla » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:45 pm

So, i guess i'll be opening the discussion on BoF6.

You have seen the screenshots, you have heard the news, and maybe you are following the Facebook updates. But have you read the comments? Im surprised and kinda annoyed of all the hate the fandom is showing to this game. And it hasn't even been released yet! Yes, I know that the game being PC/iOS/Android Online game is not very reassuring but:

There are good games for this format, even if somewhat annoying due to microtransactions, I for one enjoyed the My Little Pony game, even if it was frustratingly slow (and maybe the fact that my daughter loved playing with the new ponies I got has made me not see this game very impartially)

Capcom is doing a game that is not Resident Evil/Street Fighter! They are using old IP! If this is successful it might span sequels of other Capcom beloved games

You guys might not like the game, hell it may even be a bad game once it is released! But we should focus on more fan campaigns instead of just showing hate.

And these were my two cents
dindevalhalla

Re: What's with all the hate?

Postby Anfinity » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:58 am

I'm going to get it no matter what. I'm really curious as to how exactly they'll handle it being an iOS game. To be honest I'm not holding out very much hope, but who knows - if it does well enough, it could lead to bigger and better things. It's the sales of the game that are going to talk, so even if people are not so keen, they should at least support it.
Anfinity

Postby Nina Windia » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:32 am

My only problem was the change of the main lead. But playing as female might be interesting.

I guess after BOF 5 nothing stays traditional.

I still plan to get it, though.
Nina Windia
Site Admin

Postby Vale » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:55 pm

Definitely getting it.... It's such a fresh idea... Since we use our phones ALL the time.
A precious piece of BoF with us, anywhere, anytime.

I'm just happy it's a Capcom BoF and not some random team making it =P
Vale

Postby CarnageCrayon » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:28 pm

I think there might have been a few dev-teams with the necessary skills to make a very good concole version of BoF, Level 5 for example, but I'm definitely giving it a try, should it ever be released in the west.

But I have to be honest, so far I'm really not impressed with the art-style they chose. It's somewhere between generic korean online-game and maple-story (even though that was kinda fun^^) Especially the characters with the rediculusly large breasts bother me, cause in my oppinion, BoF never had to resort to such things to create interest in a franchise.
CarnageCrayon

Postby tsurabisu » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:53 pm

I understand where the hate is coming from. There are a lot of people who feel that the direction that 6 is going is a betrayal to the series. What most people don't know is tgat Capcom is very nearly going bankrupt and they're still trying to give us one more BoF game. We would all like to see them come out with a big budget BoF game, but it's just not in the cards right now. I just hope that I have a chance to play this one. I love the music and the characters seem interesting.
tsurabisu

Postby CarnageCrayon » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:02 pm

maybe in the not so distant future, some piblisher or developer will acquire capcom and bring back some long lost franchises like onimusha or a proper console version of breath of fire.

A big problem I have with the game is the number. If they had named it breath of fire mobile or any other name it would not have been so bad I think. But putting the "6" at the end making it a big instalment in the series, directly following dragon quater is kind of a slap in the face imo.
CarnageCrayon

Postby Rurouni » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:29 pm

Nice way to start a Bof6 forum :P But yeah, there's a lot of hate. I bet some people hate Capcom more than Bof6 and then they think all things coming from Capcom are crap or they're trolling the fans. They made some really bad decisions, of course, but that doesn't mean this will be a bad game. It's not helping that it's a mobile game and so, but we have to accept Bof is not a franchise that can make easy money today.

What I like is the plot and decisions they're making with Bof6. Maybe it's not the best art of the world or the game seems to be generic, but I can live with those details if the story is good enough.

A big problem I have with the game is the number. If they had named it breath of fire mobile or any other name it would not have been so bad I think. But putting the "6" at the end making it a big instalment in the series, directly following dragon quater is kind of a slap in the face imo.

They are making it a sequel to Bof3, so the number was a natural part of it. I think it's nice when they try to do that and not only a new universe without connection at all.
Last edited by Rurouni on Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rurouni

Postby NukaCola » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:55 pm

I respect those who feel disappointed by the platform of choice for Breath of Fire 6, but I really don't understand the blind hatred for the game when we haven't even played it or have seen any gameplay footage whatsoever. I'm willing to give the game a shot first before dismissing it.

It's really disheartening to see so much vitriol coming out of fans. I especially can't stand people who say Breath of Fire is "dead" because of this game. That's a load of crap. The fact that they're even making a sequel is an awesome thing, but Breath of Fire has been represented in the form of digital re-releases on Wii, Wii U, PS3/PSP/Vita, etc. UDON is even translating and localizing the Official BoF artbook and bringing it to North America. And yet people say Breath of Fire is "dead?" Utterly ridiculous.

And let's not forget that the game is respecting the series' lore and story. Just look at all the references to BoF1 and the hints about Ryu. Also when was the last time you saw such a long period of social media hype for a mobile JRPG?

I'm just really tired of the hateful comments I keep getting on the BoF FB page whenever I post Rurouni's translated updates from the official BoF6 page.
NukaCola
Global Mod

Postby CarnageCrayon » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:34 am

With me its definetely not hate, its just disappointment. I was hoping for something big for the anniversary and a mobile game just doesn't match my expectations. Like I said, I'm gonna give it a go in case it shoud ever be localized in europe, which I really hope for.

There's just so much that's so disconserting about the new game, like nina not having wings or not playing ryu as main character.

There are also a few things I already like about the game, like the soundtracksnippets we can hear or the fact that you can build your own village. Its nice to have a few traditional things back in it.
CarnageCrayon

Next

Return to Breath of Fire 6 discussion