What's with all the hate?

Talk about the coming new game!

Moderator: MrBaba

Re: What's with all the hate?

Postby tomb » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:56 am

I don't really hate the game as per se, I'm not even mad about the series undergoing a massive facelift.

What I hate is that whatever this game they are presenting was so obviously not thought up from the ground to be BoF, it's almost painfully obvious they where making a generic online rpg and at some point they noticed they where up some stiff competition, and decided to slap the BoF name in a desperate attempt to make money. I also hate that it's online, how am I supposed to play this game 5 or 10 years from now, when the server barely lived 1 year at most ( go check how long servers for "not brutally succesful" online mobile games last, you will be surprised for most it's in the months ).

Hell, another of their mobile rpg's, Blade Fantasia (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfs0G-bItaM) seems to be far more inspired in BoF than this BoF6 thing, at least that one has a BoF faerie, which at this point is far more than what 6 has in relation to the rest of the series.

Besides that, I'm also terribly dissapointed with the artwork they have shown so far, it's all so generic it's almost painful to watch, and even when we have not seem the actual game in motion, I can easily tell it will have cheap puppet animation of the worst kind, I can easily see this because I make this kind of terrible animation for a living. Breath of Fire series always prided itself with having modest visuals ( in comparison to their peers) that oozed style and care, this goes beyond modest and into crap territory. Go and look at the screenshots, look at the randomly flipped body parts, and how few parts they are made of, this game will probably make games like Battle Princess of Arcadia look like classic Disney in comparison.

The truth is, I'm far more eager to see Dragon Blaze (http://app.steparu.com/news/latest-news/149-gamevil-s-become-a-star-dragon-blaze-looks-amazing) translated into english than BoF6, because that one seems to have much more love dropped into it, and it reminds me more of the BoF I loved than this 6 travestite is shaping up to be.
tomb

Postby Bragatyr » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:16 pm

tomb wrote:I don't really hate the game as per se, I'm not even mad about the series undergoing a massive facelift.

What I hate is that whatever this game they are presenting was so obviously not thought up from the ground to be BoF, it's almost painfully obvious they where making a generic online rpg and at some point they noticed they where up some stiff competition, and decided to slap the BoF name in a desperate attempt to make money. I also hate that it's online, how am I supposed to play this game 5 or 10 years from now, when the server barely lived 1 year at most ( go check how long servers for "not brutally succesful" online mobile games last, you will be surprised for most it's in the months ).

I totally agree with this, and it's so true. If they had developed the game with the intention of taking the series in a different direction and it was done with some thought and care, that would be one thing. This game just really reeks of a desperate commercial attempt to milk an existing fan base, which I think is just sad. It may wind up being a good game, and I really hope it does, that would be awesome, but it wouldn't change the fact that the intentions behind its development just seem suspect at best.
Bragatyr

Postby Rurouni » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:20 am

tomb wrote:Hell, another of their mobile rpg's, Blade Fantasia seems to be far more inspired in BoF than this BoF6 thing, at least that one has a BoF faerie, which at this point is far more than what 6 has in relation to the rest of the series.

Funny (or sad, depending on the POV) thing is that Blade Fantasia actually has the series' director (Ikehara) in its staff, which is probably why it looks/feels so much like a BoF game.

Maybe Ikehara was given the choice and decided to do a new IP? or they were switched at birth? or something? Image
Rurouni

Postby Boss » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:04 pm

Rurouni wrote:
tomb wrote:Hell, another of their mobile rpg's, Blade Fantasia seems to be far more inspired in BoF than this BoF6 thing, at least that one has a BoF faerie, which at this point is far more than what 6 has in relation to the rest of the series.

Funny (or sad, depending on the POV) thing is that Blade Fantasia actually has the series' director (Ikehara) in its staff, which is probably why it looks/feels so much like a BoF game.

I just watched the trailer for Blade Fantasia and I think I saw a character who looked exactly like Katt... Wonder what other similarities there are in that game that you implied in your post.
Boss

Postby BahamutKaiser » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:09 am

I'm not super concerned about it coming out on mobile rather than consoles or handheld systems, it's the Micro Transaction sales model and accompanying gameplay that makes it so unassuring.

I don't understand how Capcom is sinking, but games like Dragons Dogma and Monster Hunter and Deep Down are being developed. The big budget production is there, whether for an existing intellectual property, or a new one. I'm all for new IP, but BoF remains one of the most attractive JRPG IP in history, I like it better than Dragon Quest for sure. It's also one of the few Dragon themed games with quality dragons, up until Dragon Quarter... Putting out an uninspiring MT mobile game as a series continuation is very unsatisfying...
Last edited by BahamutKaiser on Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
BahamutKaiser

Postby Thrillhouse3880 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:36 pm

If I may state my opinion, I know I'm late, but I think some people hate this is because the Breath of Fire franchise was seen as underrated but still enjoyable games and people are angry because they waited all this time for a new BOF entry on a console but got one on a mobile device. Although it may sound silly in some parts of the world but in Japan mobile gaming, if I heard it correctly, is a big thing in Japan along arcades. Although we were given a trailer and no gameplay its still nice to see that Breath of Fire is still alive although this entry is criticized even though it is not out yet.
Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one
-Bruce Lee

Deviantart account: http://kdogg09.deviantart.com
Check it out if interested.
Thrillhouse3880

Previous

Return to Breath of Fire 6 discussion