Do you think BoF6 will ever get localized to other regions?

Talk about the coming new game!

Moderator: -sparkle-

Re: Do you think BoF6 will ever get localized to other regio

Postby Casey » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:09 pm

Pretty sure I read it wasn't going to be released outside of Japan in early news about the game, but who knows.
Casey
Global Mod

Postby Thetis » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:02 am

Well, hope springs eternal! I got to play Final Fantasy Dimensions, which was an iOS release here, but then again, Final Fantasy is a mainstream title. I doubt it, but then again, I didn't think they would ever release one of my favorite anime. (Mostly because they claimed that it was unmarketable...)
Thetis

Postby SlippingLeg » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:28 pm

EDITED: Apparently I missed out the latest update regarding to bof6, and they decided to make it a RPG game, at least now they are shifting to a better direction.

Story wise I'm not yet being impressed. I feel like it is using back the old bof series story. As much as I like it to stay bof-ish as possible, I also don't want to replay another old bof game. At the same time something about it reminds me of those typical shounen anime, and I always hate the typical way of how they show the dialogues with a picture of characters in front of a still background. Everything about it makes me feel like they are developing a very typical RPG game, then slap in the bof label by lazily using back the old story(so that fans won't complain).

It is not very remarkable and it doesn't give me the same impression like how I first watched the opening animation of bof 4 and how immediately I was drawn by the characters with unique styles, wondering who the heck is that fox lady(Ursula, who turns out to be the main character's allly) shooting at the blue-haired punk(Ryu), what is that short, clown looking old man(Yohm) doing in a sinister environment, and why the heck they are fighting a long haired guy(Fou-Lu, who is some sort of anti-villain) at the end.

Bof6's trailer immediately gives out who is the good guys, who is the bad guys and a clear impression of what they are going to do through the whole story and leaves no spaces of imagination. I have not much surprises to expect at this point. I'm still not a fan of how it is going now BUT I will give it a benefit of doubt and see how it goes at the end, hoping that the director will prove me wrong.

However in any case this game ever being poorly made and bring dishonor to the name of bof, then I hope it will never get localized. Never we should encourage a badly produced game to be reproduced again in future.

I'm still feeling rather bitter that they wreck the game with the generic, shitty anime art style that screams nothing like the usual bof and that they made a shitty looking generic villain bishie that has none of Fou-Lu's majestic awesomeness
SlippingLeg

Postby Rurouni » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:48 am

There are some things to consider about BoF6 to make a proper opinion about it. First of all, its a new BoF since more than 10 years and was planned to be mobile app at the begining. What does this mean? The money they put on this game is clearly like 1000 times less than the money inverted in other BoFs. Now that it's online maybe they gave it more money, but Capcom is not giving A LOT of it if it's not Street Fighter or Resident Evil. So, can we expect BoF6 to be as good as other BoFs in gameplay, innovation, and other aspects? Kind of difficult, this is a different time with different rules in the gaming industry. Can we expect a good game considering all that it has against the production of BoF6? Of course, but if you're going to compare it with past games that were so special and clearly had a best scenario for development, it's unfair.

Now, about the plot that's similar to the first BoF. It's obviously a good way to appeal to the old fan nostalgia, of course, and a way to connect the game with the origins of the franchise that has been on hold for 10 years. It's bad? No, that depends on the development of the plot and characters. We don't know If its going to be a typical RPG, it wouldn't be odd since the game was in a coma and now it's trying to resuscitate step by step: first it was a mobile apps game, after a time (and I think because they realized the fan support all over the world) they decided to make it online and a bigger proyect, so with enough fan support, the next game will probably grow even more. If people were expecting Capcom to give blind support to a franchise without BIG sales like SF, RE, etc., and to make it on Vita at least, after the huuuge failure of Last Ranker (game that had BoF artist, Yoshikawa), let me say that's a little too naive. Of course everybody wants his favorite franchise to be on main consoles, but let's get real, Capcom didn't had any good reason to make it on a console and risk their money into it.

About the trailer, again you are comparing it to other BoFs, that's a mistake since back when BoF4 was released you didn't follow its release information, so everything was new and you didn't know the way it would turn. Try to imagine someone that looks at BoF6 trailer without knowing anything about the story, characters or even other BoF games. That person would be wondering what's that huge Green Bird, who is the guy in the cave that doesn't shows his face, who is the Black Winged girl, who is the blonde that is kicking the main character's ass, who is the young red haired guy, why the wings of Nina and the other girl are like transparent, who is the girl with the the hood, etc. And if you read the biography of each character, you will have more things to unveil, like the relation between Peridot and Elise, from where did Peridot came from (she's a nomad but she got to Dragnier for a reason), why is Nina amnesiac, where's the hero's missing brother, why they attacked Dragnier, where did the Insidia Empire got the ancient technology, etc. And of course you can't know which way will turn Klaus at the end, or the Black Winged girl, or even Fritz that seems "the good king" but maybe it will turn out to have his own goals.
About the designs, it's subjetive, I have some that I like, Klaus reminds me of Judas/Jade, the Black Winged girl seems cool, Peridot and Nina are really nice, Gilliam is a hint to BoF1 blue wolves. And others that I really don't like since they are only cheap fanservice the anime/manga/gaming culture is infested, like Elise and Amelia.

I think you are judging the characters with your nostalgic eyes. Wait to see if the enemy could be as majestic as Fou-Lu, don't judge a book for its cover.
Rurouni

Postby Nina Windia » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:11 am

Well said Rurouni!
Nina Windia
Site Admin

Postby SlippingLeg » Fri May 01, 2015 12:53 pm

You have provided a very good insight on how we should view the game, and you are most likely right: my opinion about this game is probably extremely unfair, but I think there is no right or wrong whether we prefer it to be as epic as the older series or being completely different. Putting that aside, there are a lot of things in the new game so far that simply doesn't agree with me because it just doesn't, not just because it doesn't live up to be like the previous series. I would love it to be different and even to challenge my old impression about bof series, but this one doesn't impress me so far and I have very little interest in learning its future developments if it wasn't part of bof series. It does look like a cheap attempt in reviving the game even though this is probably the only thing Capcom can afford to do to bring it back.

My comparison using this new game with bof4 trailer might not be the best example I can use, but let me put it another way: Wind back approximately ten years ago, if I were to watch this trailer first before I ever seen bof4's one, assuming this is completely a new series to me, I will still never give this game a second chance. This is the only most unbiased opinion I can give so far.

Since I'm rather disappointed about bof6 and how I have a rather fixed and stubborn expectation about the future game, I will politely back away from bof 6 discussion from now on unless it comes out with interesting elements that I won't whine about.
SlippingLeg

Postby Whoops » Fri May 01, 2015 2:54 pm

If Breath Of Fire 4 were to sell higher on the PSN, and the Breath Of Fire Completed Works artbook sold more, It might show those in charge of the localization to give the USA a chance. But, sadly, I do not foresee Breath Of Fire 6s release outside of Japan. Fingers crossed
Whoops

Postby Rurouni » Mon May 04, 2015 10:25 am

You have provided a very good insight on how we should view the game, and you are most likely right: my opinion about this game is probably extremely unfair, but I think there is no right or wrong whether we prefer it to be as epic as the older series or being completely different. Putting that aside, there are a lot of things in the new game so far that simply doesn't agree with me because it just doesn't, not just because it doesn't live up to be like the previous series. I would love it to be different and even to challenge my old impression about bof series, but this one doesn't impress me so far and I have very little interest in learning its future developments if it wasn't part of bof series. It does look like a cheap attempt in reviving the game even though this is probably the only thing Capcom can afford to do to bring it back.

Of course there's not right or wrong opinions, what I'm trying to say is that this game is in a different position than the games you like and if you have in mind all those things maybe you can put the game in another context, like when you compare an old game with a new game having in mind that the old one was, for example, a 10 in graphics at the time. In case you don't like it, first you have to give it a try, if not playing it (since it's kind of difficult it gets localized) at least reading about the story if it's good or bad, and then you can hope this game to be a first step of the revival. You don't have to like it, if the game is not good enough for you it's fine, but what would you prefer? 13 years more withour ANY chance of a new BoF? Or at least a small chance of getting a new BoF soon, with a better scenario for development and maybe in another platform?

Many people were asking for a new game for more than 10 years, but now they want the series to die because the game is not up to their standards, and what's next? They'll start again with another 10 years asking for a new game, without thinking there could be a better game coming next if they support this new one (and probably a lot years later will happen the same thing, back from 0 without a "first step" chance like we have now). Sadly, people don't want to see the whole picture and they're not realistic, they want all perfect all now and where they want it. I don't ask you to like it, I ask you to support it if you want to see if there could be a better BoF soon. If you don't, then I hope you to never say a word about a new BoF game again, since you will prefer it to die.
Rurouni

Postby SlippingLeg » Tue May 19, 2015 3:55 pm

If I'm not taking you in the wrong context, you might have been taking my opinion a bit too seriously, or perhaps you are indeed gravely worried about the future of bof, my noble bof warrior. If I have by any mean, offended you or the bof gods, I apologized for that, but really, take it easy. We can't stop people from getting disappointed from bof6, and we can't judge them from hoping a better bof7 in the future either, whether they ended up supporting bof6 or not. I may not supporting/liking the 6th game doesn't mean I really wish the series die. Please don't help me form the words that I do not intend to say.

I'm only a very simple consumer, like many others -- if I like it, I buy it, if I don't like it, I have other things in life to do as well. I can't poke my finger into the company's business on how they manage their operations, I can't help them to worry about "shit, if they didn't get enough supporter this time they will never make another game again!" because I don't deal with their financial accounts or help to decide whether they should come out with another Street Fighter franchise, unless we are from the Capcom team itself, we have no real fucking idea why they are doing so badly these few years.

I will definitely help out the series if I can, conditionally. If they screwed up the new game, then too bad, there is nothing much I can do to help, nobody can ask me to spend my hard earned money on things that I really don't like from my innermost soul, I'd just silently mourn for it then move on, maybe occasionally sulk in my nostalgic memories of older bof series, but that is all I will do. I can still live it out whether this series can make it out in future, but that doesn't mean I, or anyone else who decided bof6 is not a big deal in their life any more, a bad person/fake fan/one of the unrealistic bastards. How could you tell by their behalf they will continue to ask for new game in the next ten years? I afraid by then especially the new generations wouldn't know about the series except maybe a few of the old bones. That is much likely going to happen actually.

If the game does turn out appealing at the end, fuck yea, DO take my money, I will be buying all sort of franchises and even petitioning on making a manga version of it, with a personal request of hiring back Tatsuya Yoshikawa.
SlippingLeg

Postby Whoops » Tue May 19, 2015 9:43 pm

I dont care how bad it is, I'm going to get it just in the hopes that Capcom will get the idea to make a REAL Breath Of Fire game
Whoops

PreviousNext

Return to Breath of Fire 6 discussion