Role-playing with canon characters

Got an idea you want to share? Want to ask some questions or just talk about RPs in general? This section is for you

Role-playing with canon characters

Postby punnieryu » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:55 am

So.. yeah. That's what this is about. I think exploring character's personality this way would be really fun.
punnieryu

Re: Role-playing with canon characters

Postby MrBaba » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:11 am

Sounds super interesting. So who would we pick then? How would we know who ends up as who?
MrBaba

Postby punnieryu » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:03 am

It depends on whoever you want to pick, whose mind you find interesting to explore.. Well, we're going to need enough understanding of their personality.

First thing first, we should pick the scenario in where the character is going to be relevant.

Here's my idea about the scenario we can use.
We can play out scenes that we saw happening in-game, which will restrict what we can do and say... we can improvise, but not in a way that can make them deviate from the game-established plot. This one is pretty rigid..

Or we can play with 'what if' scenario, like, 'what if it's not Rei who found Ryu, but Bunyan instead', or, 'what if Ryu and Rei reunite in Bunyan's house/Wyndia/Genmel/Coffee Shop not long after they were separated',..you get the idea.

Or we can fill in things the game didn't tell us, like, what happened to Teepo/Rei after the trio were separated, or how Teepo's and Rei's daily life before they met Ryu..

Since there were only two of us, I guess we can only play out scenario where there were only two character involved... I don't know... how do you think all the playing should work?
punnieryu

Postby MrBaba » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:49 am

I think I'd be cool with what ifs and filling in. Much more freedom that way~

As for how it'd play out, I think discussing the ideas while trying to understand these characters would work.
MrBaba

Postby punnieryu » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:59 am

okay then. Let's start by choosing who we want to play as, then we can think of the scenario we can use to make the two demands meet.
Wait... which game should we use? I automatically think of the third game effortlessly.. I understand III and IV's characters and storyline best. What about you? And which character do you want to play as?
Oh, maybe listing our headcanon relevant to the story we want to play out would help too.
punnieryu

Postby MrBaba » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:10 am

Going with maybe III on this one? I admittedly I have not as much experience with writing those characters, but practice makes perfect.

Maybe be boring and go with Ryu. :P
MrBaba

Postby punnieryu » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:42 pm

Let's both do our best through trial and error! I've ever written something like fanfiction from Garr's and Ryu's perspective, but that's where my experience ends...

Then I'll go with Garr. One occasion where we can do what if scenario that instantly comes to mind is when Garr was in the Fahl's pub while Nina and Ryu was on the other room. Like, if Garr was asked by Balio n Sunder to watch for the kids since Fahl would get drunk the instant he could get his hand on the booze. Just in case. Then he naturally asked why he would need to keep being alert to watch for two kids. The horse bros would hesitate, but then thought it won't hurt to let Garr know the truth so he could watch for them more seriously. Garr, of course, would get his hand on Ryu the second he got the chance after knowing that Ryu is a Brood. So that's that.
punnieryu

Postby MrBaba » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:08 pm

Not a bad place to start to be honest.

Some small scenarios are best to start off on.
MrBaba

Postby punnieryu » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:51 am

Okay then.. What is it that should be established beforehand for this scenario? And the characters other than Garr and Ryu.. Should we, like, narrate about them and decide about what they say alternately?
punnieryu

Postby MrBaba » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:51 pm

We can probably use some of the other characters too, but for now Ryu and Garr are the main focus.
MrBaba

Next

Return to Roleplaying FAQ, Chat and Recruitment