Dragon systems: Which was your favourite?

Talk about the games here!

Moderator: -sparkle-

Re: Dragon systems: Which was your favourite?

Postby Leonhardt » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:46 am

there are very fun to rp though.
Leonhardt

Postby MrBaba » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:48 am

I was speaking primarily in a gameplay sense though.
MrBaba

Postby ChaosPrime8 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:37 am

I have to go with the original. Simple and the dragons looked draconic. 2's is at the bottom because damage=AP% thereby punishing players for level grinding Ryu, 3 had the gene system, which had customization, but the AP drain was a bit annoying, and in 4, some of the dragon forms looked unappealing and it was annoying that restoring heath to Ryu or Fou Lu's dragon form was difficult. 5 I never touched.
ChaosPrime8

Postby hirdeffect » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:48 pm

Dragon jeans. Great..!
hirdeffect

Postby CoolHandLuke » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:45 am

I think the dragon gene system is one of the coolest ideas the series ever had, hunting down the different genes and then experimenting to see what all you could create was awesome. However, the downside of it was -- as others have pointed out, a lot of the resulting dragons were pretty useless most of the time.

BoF IV's Dragon Gems were pretty boring compared to the genes, but the resulting dragons were a lot more useful and in my opnion (although I will admit that III's looked cooler), and also provided a lot more strategy and were overall more fun to play as. The combo system only added to that. So, if you could add in the treasure hunting and customization aspect of BoF III's genes with the gameplay of BoF's dragon forms then I think you'd have just about my ideal system.

Dragon Quarter's take on it, was pretty cool too, although I was really disappointed when I learned that you only had the single form throughout the whole game. BoF II's was a big step down from those three. The infamous making the elemental dragons all the exact same was pretty unfortunate, and I think the AP % = Dam idea was flawed, but as someone else mentioned, they did a good job of making them feel like they were a powerful, last ditch option. If the going got tough, you knew that you could always "Call in the cavalry" so to speak and unleash your dragon attack.

Really, the only one I'm not that big of a fan of is BoF I's. It's not bad, and you have to give them credit for coming up with the idea of letting the player transform into a dragon to begin with, which felt pretty mindblowing for it's day, but in hindsight it just feels like a watered down version of what BoF III later did.

So, for me it's:
BoF IV > BoF III > BoF DQ > > > BoF II > > > > BoF I
CoolHandLuke

Postby ChaosPrime8 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:10 pm

apparently the elemental dragons dealing the same damage was a bug. from a lore perspective, it did make sense as to why ryu uses up all his AP because he is only a half breed.

what I did not like about the genes was that the different dragon forms aside from whelp and "dragon," the different varieties looked less draconic such as with pygmy, the fusions and warrior, which was a half dragon (I liked how the design was used as a partial transformed state despute ryu and fou lu having seemingly identical portraits). I would have liked to see ryu take on a dragon form similar to teepo's where the shadow gene could fuse with infinity and create tyrant instead.

1's dragon form was very generic and potentially gamebreaking (although ironically, a "boltX" is more dangerous against the ultimate power alone than having a full party). gold/holy dragon is worthless against bosses, but can kill "pincherX" if I recall correctly.

4's dragon system felt a bit restricting and I was not a fan of the aura and astral designs. I like it when dragons have the more traditional look.
ChaosPrime8

Previous

Return to Breath of Fire discussion